Wormwood Ale

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wormwood Ale

Out of interest has anyone ever brewed one? I've recently bought a wormwood (artemesia absinthium) and it's growing merrily in the herb garden. The main reason I bought it was to try herb ales, rather than just using hops. Then I realised I didn't have a clue where to begin.
On a tangent, any ideas for a wine out of wormwood?

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: Wormwood Ale

No, but I've been considering something similar. I don't have wormwood, but I have its wild relative, mugwort, in great abundance. I was considering combining it with dandelion, for bitterness, but I think wormwood may be quite bitter enough on its own.

Have you made other herbal ales?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've no idea - but these people might ...

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/topic ... entry48627
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Here's my attempt at an extract-based mugwort ale. My method is a little unorthodox, but it works pretty well.

For two (UK) gallons:
2 x 370ml jars malt extract (the kind that's sold in health food shops)
350g sugar, about half and half white and muscovado
flowering tips of mugwort - not sure what weight, but about 1 pint volume when covered with water and pressed down a little.
4 each of dandelion leaves and rosemary sprigs, because I couldn't stop myself meddling.
1 sachet bread yeast (it's so much cheaper than brewing yeast)

1. Put the mugwort in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to steep for... well, I forgot about it, so about two hours.
2. Put malt extract and sugars in a bucket with some hot water.
3. Strain liquid from mugwort onto sugars.
4. Dump mugwort, dandelion and rosemary leaves into a saucepan. Cover with boiling water and boil. After 20 min I tasted some and it was extremely bitter, so I stopped it there.
5. Strain liquid into bucket.
6. Top up to about 2 gallons and sprinkle on yeast.
I plan to leave this until it's calmed down - four days to a week, I expect - then bottle it.

So far, the wort (is that what the mixture's called at this stage?) tastes promising, if perhaps a little too bitter for my preference. Mind you, that was true of some kit beers I've made, and they turned out pretty well. I'll let you know how it's doing in a few weeks. It occurs to me that I'm setting myself the challenge of describing flavours. Hmm. Oh well, I'll do my best.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

it is wort at that stage. You don't really get an accurate taste of the beer from the wort - lots of changes take place in fermentation.
I actually have a recipe for a mugwort porter (in booze for free) but wasn't too sure how much more bitter wormwood is for substitution.