What is the strangest thing you've brewed?

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

What is the strangest thing you've brewed?

We've all done it at some time or another - find a recipe (or idea) that is so outlandish it has to be done, even if just for the shock factor. I'm interested to see what's the weirdest we can come up with. Bonus points if it turned out well.
I'll start us off with my second and first
2nd place was energy drink wine. It was ok tasting, but had a strange habit of making you cough, so it got poured down the drain
1st place is my cock ale - it's an extract ale that has a chicken carcass submerged in it for the length of fermentation. So far I've only tasted it flat and it tasted rather nice already.
What's your's?

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: What is the strangest thing you've brewed?

Ooh, nice question! Probably my parsnip and nettle ale. I'm not sure it even qualifies as 'ale', since it doesn't use malt or grain at all. I'd been wondering about alternatives to shop-bought sugars, then had quite a lot of parsnips still in the ground at the time they all started growing again (I know! How did that happen? :scratch: ). This was an experiment in brewing from only home-grown sugar, i.e. that occurring naturally in the parsnips. I added the nettles because I thought they'd balance the flavour well (and they do), and threw in a few parsnip seeds too, though I'm not sure they add much.

The result is pretty drinkable. I reckon the alcohol content is about 2 - 2.5%, so it's the smallest of small beer. It tastes... wholesome. There are strong vegetable flavours, as you might expect, and it tastes as if it's probably doing you good. Who knows, maybe it is! :occasion5:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thinking ... ... ...

(There's been a few).

Back soon.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't know if they count as weird really - but they are to us.
1) thistle root wine. OH weeded a load - yes, definitely a load, of thistles, spent some time looking at what he could do with this pile of prickly weeds and came up this - an American recipe. At the time I queried the amount of sugar but we followed the recipe left it several years (if you search back through here there'll be a reference to it somewhere) and threw it out at the start of this year - absolutely cr4p.
2) my daughter made some cider using the liquor off the top of the sourdough starter, apple juice and the remnants of a pumpkin. Not bad at all - a bit dry but we're going to bottle it with a tot of sugar for fizz and a little less tartness.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura wrote:we're going to bottle it with a tot of sugar for fizz and a little less tartness.
don't put more than 1tsp sugar per 500ml bottle otherwise you'll end up with potential bottle bombs. If it's too dry and you still want it fizzed then use a sweetener to get rid of dryness, otherwise stabilise it and add sugar for a sweeter but flat cider. Of course you could just add a tsp of sugar to the glass as you pour it.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Good thinking, Batman. :thumbright:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Brewtrog wrote:don't put more than 1tsp sugar per 500ml bottle
I should have pointed out that this sugar will do nothing for sweetness either - it all gets fermented so that the booze carbonates.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I made some wheat wine once, and tea wine too - they were both absolutely horrible :(
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right - I've thought about it and it has to be apple wine. I'd made one wine kit before this - a red is about all you could say about that - and decided to do the "real thing". I had no idea what I was doing, but got hold of a recipe and made five gallons of the stuff. The red had been ready after about a month, so I assumed that the apple wine would be, too. It was vile. It stank of sulphur dioxide (well, no one told me that's what Camden tablets were supposed to do) and it was as acidic as all hell. No one told me about maturation either. After one glass (which I didn't finish) the whole lot went down the drain.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I don't think I ever made anything really strange - some tasted better than others, though - but the worst homebrew I can remember from a long time ago, when I was in London and my landlady brought out a few bottles of her ex-husbands stuff... Celery wine anybody? I still remember this taste of alcoholic soup! Yuk.

(Maybe that was the reason he was an ex-husband.)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

MKG wrote: a red is about all you could say about that
That reminds me of my dad's beetroot wine. He used to grow beetroot because they were easy, even though none of us liked them. One day he dug them up, brought them all indoors and declared that we were going to make wine from them. They were huge! It took a lot of sawing with the bread knife to get them into sensible sized pieces. I seem to remember he brought the spring balance down from his workshop to weigh them with. I think we may have got pounds and kilos mixed up at some point...

Beautiful colour, though.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've actually done both tea wine (currently doing my second batch) and celery wine (soon to open a year old bottle) both of which I enjoyed.

WhiteWolf
Tom Good
Tom Good

Few years ago I brewed up a batch of Tea wine - think it was Earl Grey (was quite a while ago) and a batch of Coffee wine (Nescafe to be precise). Both went down rather nicely, the tea had a very delicate flavour.

WW :cooldude:
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

http://the-wolfies-veg-garden.blogspot.com

doofaloofa

Sweed wine

nasty, but drinkable after 15 years
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln