Not buy anything new 2014

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not buy anything new 2014

It was all going really well until this week, when I had to buy 35 tonnes of ready mixed concrete, my carbon footprint is now well and truly shot down in flames............. on the bright side, I no longer will have to get my car unstuck in the mud on my driveway, unblock all sorts of shite from the drains and paddle in god knows what when it rains anymore

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

We all have days like that and it's possible that you probably did the right thing for the good of the drains if nothing else. :iconbiggrin:

Flo

I've been round and round the charity shops for curtains. For the last 9 months at least. I have one big window that needs a 90" wide and, being roadside, needs to have thick curtains. When I moved in I found a pair that were just big enough. But only just and let light round the side. So at last I have bitten the bullet and bought new in an appropriate colour and thermal. The charity shops will get two pairs to sell, quite decent ones and clean. Believe me, it grates to buy new curtains. Haven't done that trick but twice since 1966. I did wait till they were about 60% off mind.

Still I suppose that if none of us ever bought new, there would be nothing second hand.

Does upcycled count as second hand? I know of a shop that upcycles furniture and am hoping for a new chair to replace the office chair that way.

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yup upcycled is second hand usually :)

I am on holiday back home in Scotland for a few days so have of course been around the charity shops to get some clothes haha. Managed to double the amount of trousers I own to 6 (recently got rid of everything that doesn't fit, heh) which should get me through the winter fine!

I always find actually that the clothes I've gotten from charity shops are waaaay nicer than anything I've bought new, to be fair though I shop in a town with exceptionally good charity shops.

ina

Smilesbetter wrote:

I always find actually that the clothes I've gotten from charity shops are waaaay nicer than anything I've bought new, to be fair though I shop in a town with exceptionally good charity shops.
And which is that? I find that Montrose has a lot of charity shops, but what they sell is a bit hit and miss... The nicest stuff I've always had from one of the (only two) charity shops in Stonehaven. Mind you, they rarely have anything in large sizes...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

We seem to have hit a problem with buying second hand locally. Now I've shrunk (nice phrase for having taken the diet in hand and come down to only being a tiny bit overweight but that's another discussion) and someone said "have you lost a lot of weight?". Well when your clothes look far too big to the general public you have to do something.

Five fleece tops recycled to the charity shop. That's the good side of the story.

But - the Regatta fleeces on offer second hand cost more than the offer in Millets down the road. Excuse me. Now Regatta ain't an upmarket brand by any means - it's above Primark and the supermarket chains but it ain't upmarket like say Boden or Barbour or Fat Face. Did I do wrong to take advantage of the new offer?

ina

No, you didn't. I have the same problem - but it's mainly due to the strange pricing policies in (chain) charity shops. I think somebody told me that (was it in an Oxfam shop? - can't remember) all t-shirts have to be priced at £2.50. Even the ones that were only £2 when new; and even if they are in quite a deplorable state. Sorry, I can't afford to pay more for a rag than for a new one.
A lot of the shops seem to price according to volume, too. A large, thick jumper costs more than a lighter one, even if the large one is well-worn cheap acrylic and the lightweight one is pure silk, brand new...
Ina

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ina - St Andrews is the town with the fantastic charity shops, although not great at this time of year. The trick is to go at the time of year the students move home at summer, and around graduation when the students who have lived in St Andrews for a number of years move out. They tend to have a wardrobe clear out at these times so the charity shops are full of great stuff, often practically unworn and often even designer. I got a great silk Ted Baker dress for a wedding I was going to for about £7 recently, it looked brand new and with a slight adjustment to the straps (clearly the previous owner had humongous knockers) it fit perfectly!

Whenever I go back home for a visit I bring a couple of outfits, and then raid St Andrews and end up coming home with loads! Flying across the world just to go shopping maybe isn't the most sustainable thing to do though so sometimes it's aaaages before I get new clothes haha. I'm in a dilemma now as just started a new job where I need to wear jeans, and I only have one pair of actual jeans. I might not get back to Scotland till next year now too, argh haha.

ina

Well, yes, I can believe that - it's not the poorest students that go to St. Andrews. Although I'm not in need of designer wear... And students are unlikely to leave any clothes in XL sizes behind! Plus, getting to St. Andrews would cost me more than my entire budget for clothes for the year - so I think I'll have to stick to Montrose and Stonehaven for now... ;)

And what kind of job is that where you need to wear jeans? Sounds intriguing! It's usually the other way round - I always wear jeans, but have some trousers that are not-jeans for work!
Ina

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Haha I'm embarrassed to say, I got a job in a big pet shop (although I am completely against the sale of live animals in shops). It's mostly just to improve my German so I can get a job I actually want. Plus without it I'd have run out of money and ended up living on the street (certainly wouldn't be buying anything new then!) haha. We have bright red tops to wear but other than that it's jeans and trainers haha. First job I've ever had where I don't have to wear black "school trousers" :P

And I dunno, I find St Andrews has most sizes, although they do seem to be more towards the smaller ones right enough. Haha perhaps not worth the money to get there if you aren't after the designer stuff, although I find there is a lot of good quality non-designer stuff too. I'm not into designer really other than the fact that they happen to be well made clothes usually (but not always haha). I like stuff that will last me a long time.

ina

Well, I got a pashmina Louis Vuitton scarf for £2 in Stonehaven a few weeks ago... I liked the colour, and it's nice and huge and warm for winter! Plus a silk/wool cardigan which will be perfect for work in winter for an equally ridiculous small amount. I wasn't after designer stuff, but sometimes it happens. :) The little events that can make us happy... At least for a while.
Ina

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ooh lucky for some! Those sound great! Awch I'm quite jealous haha, it'll be ages till I'm back in Scotland to get shopping again haha. Was hoping to get back for Christmas but I don't think I can now coz of work. I've only worked there one day and I'm already complaining about work haha, oh dear :P

Flo

Designer is fine but it ain't a lot of use on the allotment.

Flo

Doing very badly indeed. Wanted some silk flowers and vase to lighten up a dark corner - is anyone clearing out any not real flowers to the charity shops? Nope nor decent vases - just tiny little things. But at least the matching table lamp came from a local arts centre which is a charitable concern - after covering costs all money made goes directly to the "suppliers" who are local artists. They take turns in manning the till free as part of their studio rents. I suppose I'm helping a business to be self sufficient and to provide employment in a very rural area. So much better than one local art gallery which has a reputation for taking a 60% commission.

Not buying anything new may not exactly be working but it's making me look at all the shopping I've done. Self sufficient comes into some of it. Like leaving the climbing nasturtiums to go to seed so that the back fence will be freely colourful next year and splitting out the polyanthus (quite a number) hiding under the rhubarb on the allotment which are on offer to the parish council for the village beds as I now have far too many for the allotment and the garden.

Suspect that the real question is - should I be buying it at all.

ina

Flo wrote:Designer is fine but it ain't a lot of use on the allotment.
Never need to buy anything to wear in my garden - stuff goes from work, leisure, garden (or other mucky work), cleaning rags, compost (if natural material).
Ina