Hello from Southern Catalunya, Spain

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
sue100
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: sue Taylor

Hello from Southern Catalunya, Spain

Hi,

Myself and my husband moved to southern Catalunya ten years ago to try to develop and live a more sustainable life. We live with our 5 dogs, 6 cats, 4 pigs and 12 chickens on a rural finca of about 10,000 sq metres on the side of a mountain. We live off grid and water is from an agricultural supply, which we use through osmosis for our drinking water. We grow everything organically.

We are pretty much self sufficient on vegetables and this year we planted 63 different fruit and nut trees to give us self sufficient fruit in the future. Our pigs are used for breeding, and off spring fattened and home killed to give us lovely ham, bacon and pork.

This year we invested in a small dehydrator to use for drying fruit and veg for winter use instead of freezing. In autumn we collect from our land carobs which we give to the oigs, and olives for oil and for the table.

We are still very much in the learning phase of all this, as the climate here is so different from northern England where we moved from, so we hope to be able to ask advice, gain insight, and where possible share our lives with you in the future with like minded people.

All the best
John and Sue

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Southern Catalunya, Spain

Hi Sue and welcome to Ish (and say hi to John for us, will you?).

You'll certainly fit right in here.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello to you both,should have thought all that sunshine would have dried your produce without the dehydrator! (desperately needed here in Worcestershire.)
60 odd fruit trees take some planting,so hats off to you.What did you plant?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'm not at all jealous. No, not even a little bit. :lol:
Welcome to Ish :wave:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

sue100
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: sue Taylor

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

The dehydrator is needed believe it or not to control the temperature, as air drying can be too hot here and flies can be a further problem. The only crop we air dry is tobacco, which can legally be grown in the EU so long as you pay the local duty on it. However when curing tobacco we still have to use a heat pad, again to maintain the correct temp.

Trees planted this year are almonds, walnuts, late and early oranges, late and early mandarins, lemons, ruby grapefruit, eating and large cherries for glace, plums, peaches, nispro, donut peaches, pears, apples, red and white grapes, and pomagranite. As less as 4 mulberry trees which are used here for shade, these are pollarded before the leaves drop every year to keep the trees low and allow the branches to form an umberella giving the shade.

Oink
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Welcome Aboard.
It sounds like you are living the dream. :)

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello and welcome. We moved to Bulgaria for similar reasons and after 16 months we are pretty self sufficinet in fruit, veg and nuts. We have fruit and nuts in the garden and have others that we don't grow 'donated' by the neighbours, we also exchange produce with others for what we don't grow and for straw. But it is far too cold here in winter to have olives and citrus so there will always be something we need to buy. We have chickens for eggs and OH is going to see how he feels about getting pigs next year after he has been to next door's killing in December. Don't know about Spain but here the killing of animals is done at home.

Hope you find the site as useful as I do.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

63 fruit and nut trees - my goodness, that should give you a bit more than what you need for self sufficiency!

No, no - I'm not at all envious, either... How could I be??? :shock:

Ah well, I'll stick to my northern garden, where I mainly seem to grow slugs... :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum, anyway. :sunny:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well I'll just come out and say it... I'm jelous... verry verry verry jelous.

But that doesn't matter. Welcome to ish :flower:
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.