The Microwave Appreciation Society

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: The Microwave Appreciation Society

I didn't know you knew her. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

:pukeright: we have all got an 'auntie'

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Green Aura wrote:Did anyone else want to beat their head against the wall after reading doofa's link? Physicists, eh! :roll: :lol:
I was hoping it might actually answer the question of whether a microwave is more efficient (in terms of electricity required to heat a given amount of food) than other forms of cooking, but they didn't get anywhere near that kind of comparison, for all their calculations.
Green Aura wrote:Did you find your Christmas pudding got a bit chewy, zech? I know it isn't a major problem and it's definitely preferable to a steam-filled kitchen, especially as ours is also our living room, but it's one of the things that rather puts me off exploring cooking more things with the microwave.
Um no, not at all. Mind you, my Christmas puddings are a bit 'interesting' (as close to foraged/home grown as I can get) so I'm never quite sure how they're going to come out. The other 'steamed' pudding I use the microwave for is sponge pudding, and that's not chewy, either. That was a revelation when I came across the recipe (question for google: "Are there any cakey puddings that only need one egg?") - sticky sponge pudding in 15 min!
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Ah, I wonder if the lack of egg contributes to the chewiness. Our pud has to be vegan for family events.

Have you tried puds in mugs - you know when you absolutely have to have pud, but have nothing in. About 3 minutes in the microwave.

Per mug -
3tbsp flour
2tbsp sugar
1tsp cocoa
1/8tsp each - baking powder and bicarb
tiny pinch of salt

Mix all those thoroughly.

Mix 2 tbsp milk of choice with 1 tsp vinegar and then add 1 tbsp of oil. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry, in the mug, and microwave a couple of minutes, check it then 30 second bursts til done - clean toothpick test. You can put chocolate chips in it if you want but then your toothpick test doesn't work. Oh and you can crack the top after it's done and pour cream, custard, chocolate sauce or whatever.

Only to be eaten in emergencies! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love p cookers.(had plans to import an All American canner till latest impecunity),have no hatred for MW,but some serious questions re the 'Big White Box'......Give me any other form of preservation any day...

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah yes the big white box. I have leaned towards the bottling more and more over the years. We need a thread about American Canning devices

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

microwaved a small sweed tonight

It took ten minuits.
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

ina

Zech wrote: I was hoping it might actually answer the question of whether a microwave is more efficient (in terms of electricity required to heat a given amount of food) than other forms of cooking, but they didn't get anywhere near that kind of comparison, for all their calculations.
If you know what your cooker (or rather, the ring you'd be using) uses to bring water to the boil, you could compare it. I wouldn't have a clue... My cooker is not the latest model and I don't remember where I left the instructions (which would probably tell me how much is uses - not for boiling water, but each ring when it's on...).
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

ina

diggernotdreamer wrote:Ah yes the big white box. I have leaned towards the bottling more and more over the years. We need a thread about American Canning devices
I have neither a big nor a little white box. Nor do I have an "American canning device". I just use a large stock pot and screw top jars. So far, nothing's gone off on me - just using up mixed veg (mainly courgette) from summer 2013 and it is perfect. Mind you, I've never tried to preserve meat that way... And I think certain vegetables (peas, beans) are a bit more iffy to get right. But for my needs what I have is sufficient.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

doofaloofa wrote:microwaved a small sweed tonight

It took ten minuits.
Was it Wallander???? It's what he would have wanted

JosephSkySaver
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

mamos wrote:I have scrambled eggs 6 days a week and the microwave is the best way I have found so far for making them first thing in the morning.

Apart from that I never use it
How long do you put eggs in the microwave to scramble them?