Pear tree pruning

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
JT101
Tom Good
Tom Good

Pear tree pruning

You may have noticed my overly complex post the other day on all the fruit trees I have inherited and all possible questions i have. Didn't get much of a response, so I best break it down and focus on one thing at a time.

I believe this tree is a pear tree. How would you prune it? Seems to have two leaders coming out of the base. I wonder if it was bought as an espalier originally.

Should I get rid of one leader? The dead straight one is weedier, but the more vigorous one is slightly crooked. Would it become strong enough?

I wonder why the crotch is so low?

Thanks
Attachments
Photo 1.jpg
Photo 1.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 4422 times
20150325_185534.jpg
20150325_185534.jpg (208 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
Last edited by JT101 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rmvanderspek
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Pear tree pruning

I would definitely start by cutting the little one. It will drain a lot of energy from the larger one, whilst being in the shade of the larger one for most of the time.
Furthermore, try to create some space. Usually you'd want to have three, max four, main branches. Try to keep that in mind while your cutting away some of the branches to create light for the ones left. The best branches have an angle of 45º. Prune the ones that aren't, but are taking away light from the others.

And try not to kill the tree :). Do not prune more than 30% of the tree in one year.

Hope this was helpful.

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

Also (from heresay, aka gardeners world) you should prune te crossing branches. Cause the branches can rub against oneanother causing wounds which can be an entrypoint for fungus. I hopeI heard that right...

Greets,
Roos
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I can't tell if it's a pear tree or not but it would be normal for a pear (and many other types of fruiting tree) to be grafted with the top (fruiting) part being a different variety to the root stock. You keep the grafted point above soil level. Can you see a grafting point and if so, which of the two "leader" is coming from the right part? This is very important otherwise you could be cutting off the bit you need to keep.