T'internet woes

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

T'internet woes

I have to admit to being clueless as to how the internet works but I have some expectation re service delivery on something I pay handsomely for. Our broadband "disappeared" last week, no warning signs, the connection just dropped out and only re-connected for about 30 seconds every couple of hours.

Tech support from the supplier were initially helpful but after a few days kept insisting it was fixed and they could see the live connection (only one one admitted to seeing it drop out). At no point during this period did we get a connection for more than a few seconds. :banghead:

Eventually, after a few hard words from my OH they sent a second (or third or fourth, depending who you spoke to)engineer to look at the problem again and come round to check it wasn't at our side. He admitted that someone had made a complete hash of things at the exchange in the village, resulting in several others having problems, although not the same loss of broadband.

We're now back online - it's been a long, lonely week! And OH is currently researching new ISPs (they may not be much better but they'll certainly be cheaper!).

I was beginning to think I'd never see you all again. And I was stunned at the reliance we've quickly developed - the number of times I was just about to check something - oh wait, no internet. Bit scary really. :shock: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: T'internet woes

Hi I'm doofaloof and I'm also a t'internet addict
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

I'm glad you got it sorted.

My "broadband" Internet comes as a wireless signel across the water. It is advertised as being 1.5Mbps, but it rarely gets anywhere close. The other day, I measured it at 280Kbps, barely faster than dial-up.

We will be moving soon, and one of the nice things about the move will be real wired high-speed Internet. We'll be able to watch HD videos! Whee!!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We supposedly have 8Mbps. When the military visit (as they are now) the speed regularly drops down to 500k. We reckon they're all Skyping their partners. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Good to have you back!

I remember the times I was out on the farm and we were on satellite... Every time we got a bit of a storm (and after all, this is Scotland!), we lost our internet, because the satellite dish had moved slightly... And sometimes we lost it because my boss had knocked his head against it. :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Ask if you can have a week's refund for lack of service.

I can live with no telly but not with no internet.