My allotment's too small

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

My allotment's too small

I have a 10 rod allotment (in other words a big one) and it's bulging. I've been saying for a bit that it's not big enough. Someone agreed with me yesterday. Don't think I shall get another one but there you go. If they run out of people on the list perhaps - you never know.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: My allotment's too small

Is anyone signed up to that Landshare scheme anywhere near you, Flo? Presuming it's still going, of course. It seemed such a good idea, using other folks gardens and giving them a small share of the crops.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo

Gardens in this village are postage stamps. I've applied for a very hard to let allotment near mine if everyone else refuses it. But it won't be much use this year.

Flo

Hmm looks like I can have the second allotment as no-one else wants it. Someone came along and got part way through signing up for one but didn't have the cash on him then daddy talked him out of it. Next one on the list didn't want the allotment in question. So it's mine for the taking as there's no-one else on the waiting list. Will have a walk around it later on when I'm fairly sure the rain has stopped before I make a final decision.

doofaloofa

And so your empire grows...Congratulations
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

I took on a second plot in January and after the hard work of clearing it through winter its amazing how quickly you can fill-up two plots. More of everything especially spuds, tomatoes, butter-nut squashes and brassica this year. Even fewer trips to the supermarket!!!

doofaloofa

i could definitely use another 5 acres or so

ina

doofaloofa wrote:i could definitely use another 5 acres or so
I'm sure that should have been hectares?

That would give me space for a couple of cows for all my dairy requirements, and sheep for my knitting - and goats for fun, and hens for eggs etc. etc. etc... :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just going round our 3.5 acres, there is so much fencing to do, the wind and the trees are bringing the fences down, the brambles are starting to bend over and create rooted tips just right to trip over, so we will have to go round all the fences and clear nettles, you always forget something when you get right down the bottom that you have to go back for, which doesn't sound far but it is when it's uphill. I think I prefer armchair farming, it so much less stressful, I sometimes wish for the 1/4 acre garden with polytunnel and hens I had and the allotment down the road for my spuds and fruit that I used to have.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually I agree with you DnD. I always wish I had more land, several acres to plant up with trees, several more to have enough room for various livestock, but realistically I've got just the right amount.
I have exactly half an acre for my gardening, which contains 2 polytunnels, one large and one small greenhouses, a barn, a potting shed, a chicken house and another shed. I have it planted with 17 apple trees, 3 pear trees, 3 cherry trees, 3 fig trees, 2 grape vines, 1 mirabelle, 1 apricot tree, 1 nectarine and a walnut tree, 2 black currant bushes, 5 gooseberry bushes, a loganberry, a blackberry, a goji berry, a myrtle, a forest of raspberry canes and 5 rhubarb plants.
Plus I have several coppice trees which keep us in logs.
I have enough growing area (inside and out) to keep us self sufficient in vegetables, and that is more than enough to keep me busy all the time, 7 days a week. As it is I can't really keep up, especially as the house stands on another half acre which is almost all lawn, which needs mowing at least once a week at this time of year.

But I would still like another 5 acres or so, like Doofa.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

doofaloofa

5 acres of trees to run pigs on

Flo

Will be some time before it's productive, this new plot. It's very overgrown and has rubbish but it has already moved on a bit and clearing of rubbish is being organised. No the bungalow is not mine, yes it's a bit close and yes they will have to live with me.

Digging has started since the picture was taken. Yes I have things I can plant on it, yes arrangements are being made for rubbish removal and a bonfire will be required. Time is all I need. This is in addition to keeping up the other plot - hmm need bigger pictures to show the whole place. Must take camera and do the required.

doofaloofa

Nice pallets

Flo

Useless pallets, supported by polystyrene and surrounded by metal frames. No use for bins of any sort. Only fit for the tip.

boboff

doofaloofa wrote:5 acres of trees to run pigs on

This made me chuckle!

I have 5 acres with trees on, and the council said I could run 3 pigs in it for 4 months in 12.....

My land is a local amenity, and trees there purely for the passing benefit of walkers and people driving.

The fact it was terraced market garden 40 years ago, an an industrial wasteland before that, a Boat yard before that, a drive for lime movement before that, none of that is relevant, it is now a natural valley wooded area, although, the other side of the valley, in Devon is planted all in Fir trees, well thats ok....... its just my bit that's nice to look at..... so I cat do anything with it, except weight for the trees to fall down and then tidy up....

Oh that fees better....

Sorry,
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/