Strawberry Jam!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Strawberry Jam!

I recently made some Strawberry Jam,and I think :dontknow: its ok?It looked fairly runny but I didn't want to cook it any longer than I had due to the fruit starting to look too mushy.I transferred it into jars,and its ok once its in the fridge but if I leave it out for a little while,it starts going runny again! :oops:
So,the recipe I used was basically Strawberries,lemon juice and jam making sugar (with pectin)
Do any of you kind people have any easy basic strawb jam recipes I could follow to ensure success next time?Ive looked a few online and I really don't know which ones are any good?I need a safe easy recipe please,TIA :iconbiggrin:

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Strawberry Jam!

I put the sugar and strawberries together and infuse overnight, then cook the next day, I don't know if you cooked the fruit first or not, but the strawberries stay more together this way. I add the lemon juice when it is at the rolling boil stage. There is no 'safe' recipe really, you just need to find the setting point. I don't mind a soft set jam really, they are much nicer with yoghurt than a stiff one

happyhippy

Thanks DND,the recipe I followed was,you prepare the fruit,then slightly mash it,add sugar and lemon juice,and then bring to boil gently,once boiling,cook for further 5 mins.It tastes fine actually,and I recently used it to glaze a strawb pavlova I had made (fresh strawbs then drizzled over the jam)and that worked really fab.I guess as its my first time making it,I expected the jam to be much thicker (not the consistency of the so thick you can carve it type stuff haha).

doofaloofa

if you invest in a cooking thermometer (they are in aldi soon, along with other jam making equipment) it will show you when you have reached setting point
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Doofa about getting a thermometer.
I have a digital stainless one that I wouldn't be without, I use it for lots of things, including frying poppadoms at the correct oil temperature and especially jam making.
Provided you have the pectin about right, then it's just a case of raising the temperature to 104.5 and a set is guaranteed. 104 for a light set. 104.5 for a normal set and 105 for a stiff set.
Beats faffing around dripping it on a cold plate. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina

I always prepare fruit and leave it with the sugar overnight, too. And don't mash it too finely. Jam making sugar should contain citric acid, so there shouldn't be any need to add lemon juice.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

happyhippy

Thanks Posters!Yes I will invest in a thermometer,makes good sense!Hmmm I didn't realise Jam sugar already contained Citric acid?????Whoops!hahahahahha

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't use jam sugar at all. I have never found an organic jam sugar so just use my golden granulated stuff, I add the lemon juice for the citric acid and to help release the natural pectins from the fruit, and it keeps the jam beautifully bright, then I stir it until I think it is thickening and using my wooden spoon, coat the back of it with the jam and then turn it sideways to watch the drips, when all the drips run into the middle and form one big dribble, it is done, perhaps I should get a jam thermometer and stop using something akin to alchemy

ina

happyhippy wrote:Thanks Posters!Yes I will invest in a thermometer,makes good sense!Hmmm I didn't realise Jam sugar already contained Citric acid?????Whoops!hahahahahha
Better check the one you are using - ours back home did have it.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

doofaloofa

a decent cooking thermometer will be very useful for lots of jobs, from sterilizing jars etc, to making toffee and fudge
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'm a big fan of alchemy, dnd. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

... and I'm an ex-scientist, so don't believe in magic. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.