Polytunnel - reviews and advice needed

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Christine
Living the good life
Living the good life

Polytunnel - reviews and advice needed

Hi everyone

I was chatting to someone about the NewLeaf polytunnels (I see they are advertised on this site, too) and we wondered whether anyone had tried these much cheaper alternatives on windy, blustery sites.

We both have allotments in Yorkshire on wind-catching slopes and I've recently had to resurrect two plastic greenhouses (the sort with push-in plastic joints) after the wind collapsed both in one brief gale, despite the tethers not moving (I pass clothes line over the top with massive bits of concrete tied to the ends).

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Polytunnel - reviews and advice needed

I just looked at these, never heard of them before, I live in a windy place, I am afraid these would just get picked up by the wind and blown into the next county. I am sure they are fine in a town garden where you don't get 'weather', I certainly would not waste my money on one. I have Ferryman and First Tunnels and they stand up to everything

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Polytunnel - reviews and advice needed

I've got a First tunnel with the 35mm frame. With only minor buckling it has stood up to 100+mph winds this January. The cover came off but was easy to replace. I think there's a picture of the damage somewhere on here, which shows how well the frame coped.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin