Aquaponics?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Aquaponics?

Well we are well on the way to building our first aquaponics system. We have buried the IBC in the ground and placed the grow bed on top. The fish tank is full of water and I am experimenting with a U siphon design at the moment which will allow the grow bed to drain fully

I tried to upload a photo and some video but this site makes it quite difficult to do that at the moment so if you want to see some images and video of the AP system you will have to have a look at my blog on the subject.

The next step is a big one because I have to buy a solar panel, charge controller, battery, pump, wiring and plumbing so we can get the system cycling. I do not have the available funds at the moment so the ap system is going to have to wait a few more weeks.

paul
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Methinks you need to own your own property to be able to do this. Can't see that I would get away with it in the small garden of a bungalow rented from a social housing association. Kids would find it quite a thing to take down in the two week clearing period the landlord allows to empty the property if I die or get carted off to some other abode.

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

That is why we are doing it at our allotment because we are of no fixed abode we have no garden at all so an allotment is our only hope for growing food and building my projects

You can build very small aquaponics systems that fit on a table top.

paul
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

cherami
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi mamos
What is the update of your efforts with Aquaponics.
What problems did you face trying to get IBC's there are so many in the UK at cheap prices. Here in France it is much harder but one has to travel up north to get them cheap 10€ to 80€

With an IBC in the ground you do have the ability to keep out leaves etc from trees, also if you should need to move that would be easier to just uplift and cover the hole up.
I hope you have a pleasant Journey Through Life