How do you grow turmeric

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

How do you grow turmeric

I have had a few goes, but to no avail, now someone has sent me a load more roots to have a go with. If anyone can give me any red hot tips for growing, I would love to hear them

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: How do you grow turmeric

Ours sprouted by themselves, left in a brown paper bag on the kitchen worktop. We planted them about an inch deep in compost and, at the moment they seem quite happy. I'm not sure if we'll need to bring them indoors for the winter - I doubt they'll survive here in the polytunnel.

Incidentally, the leaves taste horrid (or it may be just me). Does anyone know if they're supposed to be edible and what to do with them? Or are the roots the only usable bit?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

nickholden
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

got this off tinternet

Turmeric has a peppery, warm and bitter flavor and a mild fragrance slightly reminiscent of orange and ginger, and while it is best known as one of the ingredients used to make curry, it also gives ballpark mustard its bright yellow color.

Turmeric comes from the root of the Curcuma longa plant and has a tough brown skin and a deep orange flesh. Turmeric has long been used as a powerful anti-inflammatory in both the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine. Turmeric was traditionally called "Indian saffron" because of its deep yellow-orange color and has been used throughout history as a condiment, healing remedy and textile dye.
Nick

nickholden
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

and this

Fresh turmeric rhizomes resemble small, rather emaciated ginger roots with brilliant orange flesh that softly glow through their tan-coloured skins. To grow your own turmeric, choose the largest, least shrivelled roots you can find. Leave these in a warm, dry place out of direct sun until shoots appear. This can take several weeks and, although not essential, it lessens the likelihood of the roots rotting before they begin to grow.

Press the roots shoot-side up into a blend of potting mix and good quality compost. Turmeric is not deep-rooted so shallow tubs – 20cm or so – are sufficient. Water carefully and place in a very warm, sunny spot.

It's a good idea to plant two batches; one for harvesting in late autumn when the foliage dies down and one for producing next year's propagation roots. Water regularly (except during dormancy, when all watering should be suspended) and apply liquid fertiliser fortnightly.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you Nick. I have got shoots with ginger before, I will put these roots somewhere warm and try to get some shoots before potting up this time

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

nickholden wrote:It's a good idea to plant two batches; one for harvesting in late autumn when the foliage dies down and one for producing next year's propagation roots. Water regularly (except during dormancy, when all watering should be suspended) and apply liquid fertiliser fortnightly.
Of course! Mine are all in one pot currently. I'll split them up later in the year - some for keeping; using; and posting. :thumbright:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

oooh sounds interesting! Let me know if it works I'd love to try that, if you can succeed green Aura we should be able to a bit further south I imagine

Cassie

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think I shall keep buying my turmeric at the Asian shop rather than trying to grow it myself - it would cost more in getting the temperature high enough than the stuff costs ready to eat in the shop!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)