Bread

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bread

As a change from posting photos of tomatoes and sundry veg, here's one of something I do every Sunday.
2 pan loaves for slicing and making toast for breakfasts and 2 Focaccia for cutting into chunks to go with the soup lunches we have during the winter months.
Bread.jpg
Bread.jpg (136.39 KiB) Viewed 16689 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Bread

Looks very tasty. Especially as I haven't had any proper bread since last November!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

you can't beat home made bread. I make our bread too, usually white for him and a mixture of malted and white flour for me, you can't even buy a decent loaf where we are, either sliced white pan or some of that awful bake off bread. Have you stopped eating bread GA?

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I found a treasure at a charity book stall for $2 - The Sunday Times "Book of Real Bread" 1982. I think I may need a translation or two as I work through it though. It still has the London Bookshops original price sticker on it
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

diggernotdreamer wrote:Have you stopped eating bread GA?
Certainly for the near future dnd. We're dieting - lower carb, higher fat, no starchy veg or grains. So no wheat bread but despite that I'm finding it by far the easiest diet to live with and it seems to be working - over a stone thus far (we did lapse just a little over Christmas - the Xmas pud, in the cupboard since last January, and our traditional snowballs got the better of us). That we haven't bought our next pud when they're trying to flog them cheap is telling, I think.
Maggie

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Weedo wrote:I found a treasure at a charity book stall for $2 - The Sunday Times "Book of Real Bread" 1982. I think I may need a translation or two as I work through it though. It still has the London Bookshops original price sticker on it
I have the Best Bread Book by Patricia Jacobs c1978, rrp 70p, which I bought in about 1990 for 30p, some of these old books are wonderful, like my Radiation cook book from the 1950's

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

GA - the higher fat & protein, nil carb diet worked really well for me - 10kg lost. The really hard bit is getting the right food while travelling (which I do a lot for work), particularly in the remoter parts and watching the carb overload with the beer. Ordering a bar meal like a hamburger with no chips, no bread, no sauce and a glass of soda water can get you some funny looks in Louth. Watch those "little" lapses, it doesn't take much to upset your newly established metabolism.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fortunately I don't travel very often. so it's less of an issue for me. Restaurant workers tend to look at me strangely though when I ask for food with the starchy accompaniment because I'm on a diet but then ask for a glass of wine and coffee with cream. :lol:
I'm not no carb because I can't envisage no veg (although fruit is a bit scarce at the moment). Essentially I've cut out grains and spuds and upped the fats. It's probably working more slowly than full keto but I'm enjoying it so will be able to maintain it.
Maggie

yellowhammer
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Weedo wrote:I found a treasure at a charity book stall for $2 - The Sunday Times "Book of Real Bread" 1982. I think I may need a translation or two as I work through it though. It still has the London Bookshops original price sticker on it
I've got this book as well, it's pretty good. It's a shame the Real Bread Campaign hasn't made more progress since it was published, although things are better than in 1982. I think I liked the pitta recipe especially.

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

If others are interested in this book, it's available online from many suppliers at about £3.00, incl. posting.

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The Farmhouse Kitchen (ITV) recipe book is one I had - I wouldn't mind watching repeats of that programme again. The modern cookery programmes are enjoyable enough, but it would be nice to see cookery your average person can learn to get stuck into in their bog standard kitchen on ordinary work days with ingredients they could buy blindfolded without having to think and ponder and puzzle over, and check the bank balance for. Lots of offal recipes and the like, too.