Dangerous weather

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dangerous weather

... although not quite what you were expecting though.

Today has been a beautiful day, almost unbroken sunshine, temperature a steady 14c and just a balmy southerly breeze.
There are flowers out everywhere, daffodils, crocuses, camellias, rhododendrons, mimosa, as well as dandylions, daisies, celandines, and several big black bumble bees visiting them all.

But, it makes you want to start sowing seeds, planting potatoes and all sorts of other things because it's SPRING :flower:
Except of course it's not, it's just a tease, and may well turn back to winter next week.
It was a very nice day though.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Dangerous weather

Glorious here too.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have planted out potatoes in the tunnel, about two weeks ago. Sowed onion seeds into my hotbed propagator, which have followed the lettuce I sowed in there before. It has been freezing here today, east wind blowing

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Looking forward to autumn here so that planting can begin - the last 5 days have been plus 40c, cooled off to low 30's / high 20's for the next few days and then back up again; Feb and March are our hottest months. Lovely storm Saturday, wrecked a number of big trees and took most of the roof off the shed. We really can't do anything until we get 3 or 4 inches of rain (ground too hard to cultivate) and the soil temperature gets below 18c. However, the few new veg beds in preparation are coming along well, heaps of horse addition and heaps of water; once it cools a little we will shift worms across from the worm farm and then sow our winter greens.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Not even tempted to plant anything here. We had 40 cm of snow yesterday, up to 1 metre in drifts. I spent all day with the snowblower and shovel digging out.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

diggernotdreamer wrote: It has been freezing here today, east wind blowing
Isn't it odd that the weather can be so different in the couple of hundred miles that separate us?

Yes I've been sowing odd things since the beginning of the year, but only in the tunnel as I'm almost 100% certain it would never freeze in there.
Now I've started off my tomatoes, but the best of it is I've yet to build the greenhouse they're going in.
That should give me the incentive to get it built in the next 8 weeks.
Tony

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Odsox wrote:
diggernotdreamer wrote: It has been freezing here today, east wind blowing
Isn't it odd that the weather can be so different in the couple of hundred miles that separate us?

Yes I've been sowing odd things since the beginning of the year, but only in the tunnel as I'm almost 100% certain it would never freeze in there.
Now I've started off my tomatoes, but the best of it is I've yet to build the greenhouse they're going in.
That should give me the incentive to get it built in the next 8 weeks.
We rarely get wind from the East, it is usually NW straight off the Atlantic and I also know my polytunnel will freeze solid if we get a bad frost, we had one that went to -4 one late May which was pretty devastating and a lesson to me, but I do live up high and we get cold off the mountains if they are snowy topped, it was actually snowing 10 miles away here on that day, but we didn't get any

Bet you get your greenhouse built before me, the Wizard is more interested in his new pod he's building at the moment

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I got my first tunnel in 2006 and it has never frozen in there. Mind you we seldom get a frost outside, this winter so far we have had one frost where the grass was slightly white in patches in the sheltered spot at the bottom of the lawn.
The big greenhouse is better, the minimum temperature I've recorded in there is +5c, entirely due to being below ground level.
diggernotdreamer wrote:Bet you get your greenhouse built before me
I've got 8 weeks otherwise I will have to turf Mrs Odsox out of the conservatory, and I think that would involve fisticuffs.
Tony

Flo

It must be spring - the weeds are starting to grow and thrive!

bonniethomas06

Well I bit the bullet last Friday on a particularly beautiful day and sowed tomatoes, chillies and capsicums. I am already suffering minor regret as they are now germinated and getting leggy, but it was SUCH a thrill to see them poke above the vermiculite!

Also sowed some leeks, banana shallots and broad beans, and land cress, spinach, radish and little gems in the greenhouse boarder. Feels like the growing season has started and it is a real much needed February mental boost :-)
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com