strawberry dilemma

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

strawberry dilemma

I bought three sorts of strawberries this year, Honeoye, Alice and Cupid for strawberries over a long period of time. They are now all flowering and setting fruit now, what has gone wrong? is it because I have them in the polytunnel, I have only ever grown early strawberries but I thought I would get some for later on in the year

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: strawberry dilemma

Perhaps you should have used some "ever bearers" which can be nipped back till later in the season (say June) and then allowed to set fruit?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Flo, I only grow everbearers which fruit from now until November.
Depending on the variety some produce loads of fruit and then have a couple of weeks rest before starting again, but some just keep going.
Funnily enough I will pick our first 2 ripe strawberries in the morning to have with breakfast muesli.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

oh dear, better get some everbearers then, looks like I may have a lot of strawberries next month

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't think you can ever have too many strawberries.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:I don't think you can ever have too many strawberries.
Absolutely correct and with that in mind I have ordered some Buddy strawberries, so long may my strawberry season continue, thanks everyone, still really confused as to why everything has come at once though

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

diggernotdreamer wrote:still really confused as to why everything has come at once though
Well I've noticed this before in catalogues. Just looked in Dobies bareroot strawberry plants and they have "early season" fruiting from June. "mid season" fruiting from June and "late season" fruiting from mid-June.
As you are growing them in ideal conditions do you think you would notice a 2 week difference between them?

I'm still looking for Finesse plants, the only place I've found that delivers to Ireland sell them by the thousand, now I think that just might be too many strawberries. :lol:
Tony

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you got into Address pal yet, for 3.75 you can collect from your local post office, I buy stuff from the UK all the time for UK postal rates and just the collection fee

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes I've had one for ages, AND I've actually used it several times, and worked out their system (I think).
I recon they collect from the UK address at the weekend as it didn't matter what day I bought UK stuff it always arrived at my post office on Tuesday morning. So if I want to order live plants I think I know when to order.

The Finesse strawberry is not the "delivery to Ireland" bit so much, it is the case that just about the only place I found delivered plants in multiples of a thousand.
Such are the vagaries of new strawberry varieties, 4 or 5 years ago everybody sold Finesse, now they are rare.
Tony