Harvest time

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harvest time

First kilo of raisins with plenty more to come, then it will be sultanas.
Should be OK for cake, buns, Christmas puddings and mincemeat. :iconbiggrin:
Raisins.jpg
Raisins.jpg (161.1 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re: Harvest time

Odsox
I am reading this as posted 2:06 am ? Are you awake or does the "system" show me posted at Oz time?
You have the first autumn fruits and I have the first spring calf
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Err no, I wasn't awake at 2 AM. :sleepy2:
The time shown is whatever you have set it to, or the default setting if you haven't set it.
If you click the little blue triangle to the right of your name on the top bar (over on the extreme right) and then select User Control Panel, and then Board Preferences, you can set it to whatever time zone you want.
Tony

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Thanks Odsox - I really am a techno-dinosaur (mostly by choice)
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Flo

Those who have the facilities to grow grape vines and then dry the produce make me a teeny weeny bit jealous. :wink:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grape harvesting is just about over, although there are still many bunches of white grapes that will be juiced and then reduced to make a very nice syrup.
Drying was well worth the trouble as we now have 2.8 Kg of raisins and 2.6 Kg of sultanas, which should keep me going with the fruit buns I have every day, mince pies, Christmas pudding, Dundee cake and scattered on my breakfast muesli.

Other things harvested, I had a very good crop of onions (although I destroyed about 1/4 of them as reported on another thread). Runner beans have been exceptional this year, carrots have totally avoided the root flies so loads of them, potatoes were very early but a good yield .. and no blight.
I think I grew too many tomato plants as we had filled all our Kilner jars with puree before mid summer and have a HUGE container full of dried sliced tomatoes. I have been pulling up healthy tomato plants with green fruit attached as well as giving away bushels of ripe fruit. Next year I will take myself in hand and not grow so many (maybe)

Peas only did so-so as did the sweetcorn, also I grew the wrong "sweet" pepper which turned out to me a hot one, so that was ceremoniously outed, especially as they were smothered in aphids. Borlotti beans also turned out well, all vacuum packed this year to stop them going mouldy like some last year.

On the fruit side, it is an abundant year for apples, I've pick as many cookers from the Newton tree to last us stored until spring and you can't see that I picked any there are so many left. We also have enough eating apples to last until April either in store or will be soon. Pears were good but the crows had at least half of them.

It was/is a good year for strawberries, but only the indoor ones. We have had daily strawberries from April and they are still going strong. Usually by late November they are not so nice as the sugar content is low and that's when I give them a haircut and allow the to go dormant. Gooseberries and raspberries did well as did the Loganberry.
I'm quite pleased with the winter squash too, the Potimarron produced probably 10 fruits and the Black Forest squash unfortunately only has 5 (unfortunately because it has a fantastic chestnut flavour), I will certainly grow more next year.

Still to come, Brussels sprouts are looking good, PSB also and Savoy winter cabbages (I think I've got the timing right for January King cabbages this year, they normally grow too big because I sow them too early) and we are now cutting some late cauliflowers and I still have some late calabrese just starting to head up.
Parsnips are OK but I suffered from duff seed, there will be some but not as many as I'd like, and my leeks are still a bit small, but there still a couple of growing months left.

So, all in all it has been a pretty good year despite the weather, and once again I am really happy that I made the decision to get those polytunnels.
Tony

Flo

You sound as if you have had a similar year to me Mr Tony Odsox. Well except that I put most of the brassicas on the new to me allotment which has club root and the results are not good. In fact, the results could be called failure. But you don't know till you have worked a plot a year.

The daughter is complaining that the snowman pumpkins are too big! The onions were caught by an early hot spell and went to seed so are not keepers. But we have had some. The garlic failed for some reason. But spring onions and lettuce did us proud and the parsnips took their time to get going but will be OK. Beetroot was also slow to go but has done well lately. I put the sweetcorn and butternut squash in too late to get a harvest but will use the space on the newer allotment next year. All experience.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flo wrote:All experience
You're right Ms Flo, if we keep on at this rate, by the time we get old we should be quite good at this growing lark.
Tony

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Next year, maybe. (sigh)
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin