RAIN !!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

RAIN !!

I left home this morning to light rain and arrived back this afternoon to heavy rain.
It has now turned into a light drizzle which allowed me to go out to the garden, to discover we have had just over 2" of rain.
The 2 empty irrigation IBCs are now 1 full one and one 3/4 full, or 1,750 litres.
Oh happy me :cheers:

First rain in 7 weeks and more forecast for Sunday, I just hope it knows when to stop.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RAIN !!

We're still waiting. I've been watching the forecast for rain (every day for the last week) slowly turn into wall-to-wall sunshine for what seems like months. We're due a thunderstorm right now, but all I can see is sunshine. Hey ho - maybe tomorrow.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

We've had a couple of days rain the past few weeks, but nothing much to write home about, not holding my breath for the supposed thunderstorm we're due either.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mr Odsox is hogging the rain that is forecast for here. We've not had enough to wet an ant's foot despite the forecast - I resorted to major watering on the allotments last night and only produced 6-8 spots of the forecast rain. I believe we've had one day in the recent couple of months.

dungareegirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

:icon_smile: It rained here last night, not a huge amount but it all helps

That's only the third spell of rain we have had since the end of May. The last two were quite heavy and filled up the water butts.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Finally, we've had a deluge. The lawn is saturated, the orchard is dripping, and there's more to come (according to the Met. Office). I may go and stand in it later, arms outstretched, slowly rotating whilst humming ethereal tunes. Or maybe not.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We had a few days of dreich (cloudy and miserable with a bit of rain) but yesterday the sun came out and it's been glorious. We hadn't realised just how dry everything still was, given the previous weather, but we had to do some serious watering yesterday evening. Everything looks much happier this morning.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Its wonderful Odsox! we had a downpour last night and more promised tonight/tomorrow. We're on a private water supply which has been fine so far but I'll be glad to have the rain...

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lunar eclipse set for tonight, and sure enough it starts pouring down over us.

weedo2
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Odsox. Please post a pic of rain; I really can't recall what it looks like

ina

We've had some - more like 2mm rather than 2", though... More forecast - we even have a yellow weather warning for thunderstorms for today!
And now I have a different problem - how will I get the washing dry this weekend? :mrgreen:

(Got to have something to complain about!)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Still in the big dry here. 10mm of rain on Saturday last and very welcome. We have just shifted our domestic water pump (again) to another waterhole as the last one has now dried up. The Murrumbidee river is now as low as I have ever seen it and it is getting harder to access water; we are now considering putting a bore down to get supply.
Bidgee D.jpg
Bidgee D.jpg (159.53 KiB) Viewed 20028 times
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Flo

That's a river Weedo? That's bad. We ain't got nowt to complain about here - but we will no doubt.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

The river is back up, running about 2 metres higher than the pic. unfortunately it is from water released for irrigation industries downstream and not rain.

Due to the foibles of Federal Government finding I have just finished planting the new tree corrindor on the eastern Boundary (or rather the contract planters have finished) The joint funding arrangements require all monies to be expended and the project completed by end December (summer); on a use it or lose it basis. It was planted on the back of an 8mm rain that gave us just enough moisture to keep them going a few days.

For August our soil moisture is 11.4mm in deficit. Anyone got a really really big watering can?

Some may remember that when I joined I said that I was not Ishish in the same senses at most of you but was trying to get the farm to be as self sufficient and sustainable as ppracticable? The trees are part of this process, shade, wind protection, habitat etc. and replacing old trees that are now dying.

I have borrowed a few ideas from the forum, in particular on soil biota and organic material and upscaled them; thank you.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:12 pm We had a few days of dreich (cloudy and miserable with a bit of rain) but yesterday the sun came out and it's been glorious. We hadn't realised just how dry everything still was, given the previous weather, but we had to do some serious watering yesterday evening. Everything looks much happier this morning.
I now live in the US - upstate NY - and have not heard the word "dreich" for years. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. It is such a wonderfully evocative word. I miss it - but not the weather.