What are you growing right now?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What are you growing right now?

We had first cook of peas last Sunday, very nice too, other than that I am a bit short of fresh veg at the moment. Just the remains of spring greens and 9 star perennial.
I do have some courgettes starting to swell, so should be ready sometime next week. I started them off far too early and potted them up in big pots and stuck them in the greenhouse. So far it seems like a good idea that I might do on purpose next year.
Other than that, I planted out my Brussels sprouts and I have 2 lots of climbing French beans in the tunnel, also sweet corn has been planted and quite a few peanut plants.
I have potted up 2 varieties of dwarf French beans ready to be planted, but waiting for overnight temps to go up a bit. It looks like that will happen this coming weekend as the forecast is for minimums of 12 C, rather than the 6's and 7's just lately.
Outdoors the potatoes are doing well, despite the frost of last week, and I have 2 x 20 foot rows of maincrop peas growing away nicely
Plus lots more that I won't bore you with :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We're self-sufficient in lettuce, some started outside in our upside-down crate mini-greenhouse and others in our third hydroponic unit, but that's pretty much it. We've got chillies too, but only a few fresh, mainly the remains of last years crop, dried.
In the same mini-greenhouse are some caulis, in pots, waiting for us to have nice enough weather to step outside, never mind garden!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Tomatoes, peppers, aubergines all in greenhouse. Potatoes showing at allotment, signs of summer turnips, beetroot and even parsnip seeds. Some broad beans planted out and some peas too. More peas ready to go in ground. Brassicas pricked out and soon to ready to plant on. Squashes ready to go out into greenhouse to harden off a bit.

ina

You all seem to be about 3 months ahead of me... Even the plants I've started off in the house aren't going anywhere - it's just too cold! And I've had a definite problem getting courgette to germinate. Not usually diffficult.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

barbarajohnson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've got peppers, strawberries, tomatoes and cauliflowers in the garden at the moment. Oh, and onions. I'm a bit dubious about harvesting the onions because a couple of times I've thought they looked ready then I pulled one out and it was tiny! They have such fat stalks but the onions themselves haven't filled out yet, I suppose.

The only thing I've harvested so far this year is mushrooms. I've got them in a little grow box in the house. I like that you can get a few crops, then put the mushroom spawn and soil onto your garden for fertiliser! I thought that sounded quite good (even though I know it isn't the most self sufficient to be buying growing kits :oops: )

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't see a problem getting kits, especially if you're new to doing something and want to give it a try. My daughter bought me one a few years back - growing coffee on spent coffee grounds. It was good fun. Unfortunately we haven't had as much success without the kit!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

barbarajohnson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 am I'm a bit dubious about harvesting the onions because a couple of times I've thought they looked ready then I pulled one out and it was tiny!
The easiest way to tell when onions are ready is they fall over, that is the leaves fall over and bends (kinks) just above the bulb. When they do that they are ready to use, but if you want to store them wait until the leaves are dead and the bulbs have ripened.
If you want to hasten the process you can partially pull the bubs up so that the roots break.
barbarajohnson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 am They have such fat stalks
Unfortunately when onions get fat stalks, really fat stalks, it usually means they're getting ready to flower.
Tony

barbarajohnson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Green Aura wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:25 pm I don't see a problem getting kits, especially if you're new to doing something and want to give it a try. My daughter bought me one a few years back - growing coffee on spent coffee grounds. It was good fun. Unfortunately we haven't had as much success without the kit!
That does sound fun! :iconbiggrin: Oh no, sorry to hear you're not having success without it!

barbarajohnson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Odsox wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:55 pm The easiest way to tell when onions are ready is they fall over, that is the leaves fall over and bends (kinks) just above the bulb. When they do that they are ready to use, but if you want to store them wait until the leaves are dead and the bulbs have ripened.
If you want to hasten the process you can partially pull the bubs up so that the roots break.
Thank you for all the advice! The leaves are starting to fall over now, so I might have to check on them again soon. It's been very rainy lately so I'm not sure if that will help or hinder them. I also didn't know you had to wait for the leaves to die, so thanks again! :iconbiggrin:

I can't see any sign of them flowering, I think the stalks just looked quite fat in comparison to the size of the onion, but I'll watch out for that.

barbarajohnson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

It's my first time growing cauliflowers and they're starting to get big (I bought them as plug plants). I don't have enough room in my planting beds to keep them all spaced out enough, so does anyone know if they would be alright growing in pots? Say, if I put them individually in medium sized pots.
Thanks, looking forward to hearing what you all think!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cauliflowers plants get quite big and would need lots of watering if you put them in pots, although I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be OK. It used to be said that if a cauliflower plant suffers from lack of water at any time it will not produce any curds, but I think that's an "old wives tale" as mine often flag from under watering and still produce nice heads.
On the other hand if you plant cauliflowers closer than suggested they will still make heads, just smaller ones.
Tony

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

barbarajohnson wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 pm Thank you for all the advice! The leaves are starting to fall over now
It occurred to me that my notes are a bit ambiguous and maybe confusing.
It might be an advantage to you if I go into a bit more detail.

To start with I have no idea where you are, so I am presuming somewhere in the UK.

There are two seasons for planting/sowing onions, autumn and spring.
Then there are two ways of growing onions, planting sets or sowing seed.
I grow autumn onions to get early ones to replace those left in store which are going soft and shooting like mad. Then the spring sown ones take over and last (hopefully) until about now, when it all starts all over again.

I have just harvested my autumn planted set onions that I planted on 1st of October in my polytunnel.
If your's are autumn set onions grown outdoors then they will be that much later to harvest and autumn sown seed a bit later still.
My spring planted sets are just starting to swell (also in the polytunnel) and will be another 6 weeks or so before they are ready (even though they look like they are falling over), so again if yours are spring sown/planted outdoors you can add a few more weeks to that timing.

In the photo below you can see what I mean by "fat" leaves of the ones that flower. I'm allowing these to flower so that I can harvest the seed to sow next October.
Onion flowers.jpg
Onion flowers.jpg (260.62 KiB) Viewed 61865 times
These are the harvested ones that didn't flower that are drying off in the barn.
Autumn sets.jpg
Autumn sets.jpg (221.49 KiB) Viewed 61865 times
... and these are some of the (mid February) spring planted ones that are yet to fill out.
Spring sets.jpg
Spring sets.jpg (304.61 KiB) Viewed 61865 times
Hope that helps.
Tony

LuckyST
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I only have peach trees and cherries growing here

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Yippee, it’s rained and suddenly, everything’s started growing again. I’ve got courgettes, beans and onions ready with chick peas, carrots and tomatoes ripening. I’m a bit worried about my squashes, though. They were so held back by the dry weather, that they haven’t even flowered yet.