challenge Selfsufficientish

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

sourpus :wink:

Would have to be a week with zero waste! I am finding that 14 days for a challenge is pretty difficult. I chose this time as my girlfriend is away so it is easier to just buy for myself. - A week with zero waste is still a challenge or am I being a wuss?

I can forsee some difficulties already, post! It always comes in window envelopes and is out of my hands if it does or not. I guess I could reuse the envelopes. But would I have to reuse them in that week?

If we do a week then a few of us could try it out. - come on who is game?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

ok! I'm game... god it's going to be difficult though - especially with my 12 year old about. His dad let's him buy whatever he wants and generally the rubbish ends up HERE!!!

Will take the bin OUT of the kitchen to remind the rest of the household of the challenge.

When are we starting??
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

well I still have roughly a week left of my no plastic challenge (I think must check the thread) so after that!

Now train tickets what can you do with them? can the metcalic strip be composted?

So it will be around the 7th sept when I can buy plastic again. how about on 11th sepember - that way all kids school stuff should have been bought and it might be a little easier for you.

11th September - 18th September no rubbish week.

Ouch its that date :shock: - well we can make 11th sept a positive date instead!
and...... Twitter

Shirley

YES ----

I will have an additional challenge as it's my birthday on the 18th... I will have to encourage family to wrap my present (IF I get one) in reusable packaging... or not wrap it at all. :dave:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Chickpea

My hubby wrapped my anniversary present in newspaper. Sounds good, excpet that there wasn't any in the recycling bin (we don't get a daily paper) so he bought one just for the purpose. I did explain to him that it only counts as recycling if you read the newspaper first.

The Chili Monster

I suppose if you grew you own soya beans, you could make flour from that ...
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Chili Monster wrote:I suppose if you grew you own soya beans, you could make flour from that ...
Not a bad idea actually I am off to Bath tomorrow and I know of a health food shop that sells all of its loose beans in paper bags. They are pretty useful and can be composted when finished.
and...... Twitter

red

Chickpea wrote:
I'd rather see challenges that we learn something from. How about halving your mains water usage? Or halving your electricity bill?
hmm yeh we have been trying to make our weekly electricity usuage less each week - but without doing without our usual facilities - ie we still watch tv, put the light on, use the pc, but wht can we cut just by taking things off standby, making best use of freezer, turning lights off when you leave the room etc.... its sort of fun in a geek sort of way...

how about looking at the average meter readings and trying to cut them back by so much ? like wot chickpea said...

red

Shirley

The electricity thing is a great idea! I do so need to try and cut down on our electricity usage here, especially with the prices increasing all the time.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

try making a solar hot plate. I am going to give it a go soon. I keep thretening to. Imagine how much you could bring down cooking costs. Be interesting to see how well it works in scotland too.
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the reducing the water or electricity usage is an excellent challenge and one that we can learn from too!

http://www.lintrezza.com/challenge.html

http://www.lintrezza.com/challenge2.html

Have a look at these links!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

get in the guinness book of records...

There are some in there seem quite easy to break (most concurrent conker matches) and there must be loads of environmental style ones which aren't listed but would draw attention to SSIsh (largest rag rug? biggest organic stew? most people recycling something simultaniously?) although admittedly tricky to organise.

2steps

I can't think o any specific challenges right now but would be interested in joining in. One question though - does the whole household have to follow the challenge for it to count?

Boots

I have one!

Mission: Zero Waste!

I hereby challenge ye Sir Andy Hamilton the Second, Knight of thee picnic table,

to confine all waste that cometh into ye house to reuse and redistribution. Under no circumstanth can ye dispose of any waste through Ye Olde Disposal and Landfill methods. All waste must be rehoused into useful secondary products and if not used by yourself, actively used by another.

Ye Challenge is a mighty one and will last the duration of two calendar weeks. During this time you must check the craft section often and seek assistance from those in the Craft to transform each and every waste product into useful items for distribution among the people. Your reward will be one of self sufficientishness of no uncertain terms and much greatness will be bestowed upon you.

Do ye accept this challenge offered upon you and vow to grant thee planet the full service of your creativity?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Pilsbury
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Andy Hamilton wrote: I can forsee some difficulties already, post! It always comes in window envelopes and is out of my hands if it does or not. I guess I could reuse the envelopes. But would I have to reuse them in that week?
not a problem, i shread mine then compost them, i dont have a huge bin and it is only 2 of us so when it is ready i seive the lot to get out any large bits and uncomposterble stuff, yes it does still need to be thrown away but it will be longer than 2 weeks :wink: