The Happy Downshifter

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Tracey Smith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The Happy Downshifter

...says hello!

I jumped out of the rat race in 2002 and opted for a quieter life in rural France with my husband and 3 young children.

We have no central heating, our own fosse, a 200 year old crumbly farmhouse, 40 odd chickens, ducks and guinea fowl and have never been happier.

Life is simple and rich. We grow our own, rear our own, cut trees from our wood for the fire (which still horrifies my mother), I wear thermal long knickers mid-November to end of February, have the desklamp poised over my keyboard to keep my fingers warm to type, have a tractor to cut the lawn, no mortgage, a fairly quiet social diary and I write about it for a living.

What more could a girl want? :lol:
Tracey Smith

Author of 'The Book of Rubbish Ideas'
http://www.BookOfRubbishIdeas.co.uk

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello tracey

Hello Tracey,

Sounds like an amazing life you have for your self there, I wondered a few things

1. what is a fosse?
2. How do the children find this alternative way of life and do they fit in at school ok, or do you home educate?
3. Did you know that you currently hold the self sufficientish record for the most chickens?(I think)
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging