The Real Good Life...

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Real Good Life...

Hi Everyone,

I got this email info from Chas Griffin, who left the rat race some time ago, bought a small holding and wrote a fantastic book about his experiences. It's funny and very informative, with all the highs and lows of being self suffish. A very good read indeed.

So, if you are interested in watching some telly on Tuesday, read on.

'Hi everyone...

Just to alert you to a programme coming up on channel 3 that might be good, or might be bad!

Our interest in it is that we acted as consultants to it, back in early 2004. We think it will be a decent programme, but obviously we have no guarantees!

It's called The Real Good Life, and the first of seven episodes is scheduled to go out on Tuesday May 31 at 8pm.'

I'm tuning in on it to see what it's all about. :lol: 8)
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Chickenlady

That looks really good! I am moving house on Tuesday, though, so might be otherwise occupied! I will try to watch it in future, though. I take it channel 3 is ITV, rather than BBC3??

shiney

I guess Chas means ITV, but I'll check with him!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

How can I get to see it?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

shiney

.....Get on net, buy airline ticket to the UK and come and watch our telly! Only joking Nev! :lol: (Dont' think you'll make it in time though)

I don't know how you can get English progs there, apart from when they flog 'em to ABC etc! Someone here may know tho'.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am sure there is some kind of chip or card or something that you can buy that you put in your Computer and can watch TV. Don't know too much about it really, but I guess as British TV is now all beinhg transmitted on a digital signial then theoreticaly it could be picked up anywhere in the world.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmmm, that's an interesting thought......
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I don't think that's quite right, Andy. AIUI, a digital transmission is carried by the same sort of radio waves as an analogue transmission, it's just that the nature of the information is different. So digital TV will have the same coverage as analogue TV, but you can get more information into the same amount of bandwidth with digital.

Satelite transmissions are a little different; a satelite has a large 'footprint' within which you can recieve the signal, and the programmes carried depend upon what is uploaded to the satelite, and what your decoder can untangle for you. But I don't think it would be possible for one satelite to cover, for example, both the UK and Oz.

I think a TV card for your computer still needs an RF (aerial) connection of some sort and so is limited in the same way that a normal TV is - AFAIK it doesn't recieve the signal over the internet.

On the other hand, I could be talking nonsense again.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

shiney

Well....did anyone manage to catch the programme? I got most of it, in between sorting out a lot of sandy stuff. We all went to the beach today for my son's 13th birthday. SAND EVERYWHERE and in EVERYTHING!

Is there any chance for any of the people having a go at the REAL GOOD LIFE? I think I may watch it next week, but I am sure that some won't make it! :wink:

Millymollymandy

Yes we watched it. It was good for a giggle! The guy with long hair reminded me of Neil from the Young Ones!

shiney

Yeah Man he did!

But at least he was trying. I loved the slug patrol...reminded me of Wulf and his torchlight crusades. :lol:

Jason
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I thought it was good telly ... nothing more really. I expect to be watching far more good old family rows that anything to do with the nuts and bolts of becoming self-sufficient (or even selfsufficientish).

I do hope, however, that this is just the first program of this type, and there may be a show about people who are really living the life (much more of a HFW type show)

I will, of course, carry on watching it :lol:

sunpuppy
Tom Good
Tom Good

I really enjoyed it! Quite apart from the fact that I would give my eye teeth to have my mortgage paid for a year (if I had one!) in order to go self-sufficient, I thought the programme represented a good cross-section of 'ordinary' people, living in ordinary houses, which (if they manage to stay the course) will hopefully make people realise that you don't have to be a stereotypical hippy dippy tree-hugger to live in more harmony with your environment (and save money!)

I'll be tuning in for the rest of the series..... :bom:

wulf

shiney wrote:But at least he was trying. I loved the slug patrol...reminded me of Wulf and his torchlight crusades. :lol:
Still out doing my regular hunting... :dave:

Wulf

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

shiney wrote: SAND EVERYWHERE and in EVERYTHING!
From Weston Super Mare :shock: :wink:

I missed it too.

There are going to be at least two other shows that focus on the same idea. One will be on the BBC and the other on sky. We have had journo's contacting the site about them.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging