RE-USE OF WASTE,I CAN? CAN YOU?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
john
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'VE BEEN TOLD MY IDEA WILL WORK IN THE DESERT.

:mrgreen: Hi Fee.Fairy,thank you once again for trying to help to spread the word. Ref the ( Jordanian Desert ),you say there is no way my idea would work there,that's funny I know a man who is a gardener in the UK now who lived in Syria who said that both ideas would work in the desert,only time will tell. It would have been great if you had brought with you a 6pt plus a 4pt plus one bottomless 2 litre bottle to show them my system,and to try it out for your self. putting a pint class fall of water on a window shelf does not prove anything,if you did not have some sort of cover over it to help stop the evaporation taking place,if you were trying to grow something. Plus, you did say the people that you spoke to only know about the use of glass and metal to contain things in. I suppose they would have laughed too if you showed them a plastic shopping bag,and told them that this is what millions of people use every day to carry things in,against using glass and matal. You did also say that in the Jordan Valley they only have water fall for about 3 weeks a year.
I suppose they have ways of containing what rainfall they have,or does it just fall on the land before it starts to evaporating again. If so they should use my idea on a larger scale. As someone said,because of the heat crops would grow faster in my containers,thus using less water over a period of time.
As for making some sort of compost or fertiliser to go in my containers,her's another idea of mine to help solve that problem. Why don't we soak rags in say s... and put it onto or into holes or containers if every thing else gets used. Please don't say the last thing anyone would want is to grow something to eat,grown in s...,when most things we eat now has some sort of s... added. With this in mind next time you are visiting somewhere,where people are really poor,can you please try again,as I need people like you to help spread the word once it's proved it does work in dry places.
Here's another thought,if we did not have the use of wheels which was invented by someone like me,how would you carry things,such as your weekly shopping. Please don't say in a shopping bag,because you will make me laugh,why because that was invented too to serve a purpose.
May we all live long and happy. John. J.R.P.
Last edited by john on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Message from J.R.P. Recycling, please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as it was
designed by me to help to save millions of lives
and to reuse-recycle millions of tonnes of waste
plastic container,and unwanted wooden pallets
too.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

they have shopping bags, so that was a redundant comment.

THEY DO NOT HAVE PLASTIC MILK BOTTLES. What would be the point of taking them with me?

I'm sorry, the idea will not work in the 3rd world. not at all.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

the.fee.fairy wrote:they have shopping bags, so that was a redundant comment.

THEY DO NOT HAVE PLASTIC MILK BOTTLES. What would be the point of taking them with me?

I'm sorry, the idea will not work in the 3rd world. not at all.

:mrgreen: Hi Fee.Fairy,you say they have I gather plastic shopping bags already to bring home there weekly shopping,so they are not really poor people are they,plus they don't have any plastic containers,that does surprise me,as you say the weather is so hot that they could not use my plastic container system. I did not say they had plastic milk container or bottles,I said if you had taken two with you and a bottomless 2 litre bottle,you could have tried my system out for your self,with say just sand and some water added, to see just how long the water would have lasted or something else with water added. My man said he has grown potatoes in just sand for many years, maybe they use the same system in Jordan.
In the UK he could put just sand in his containers and get the same result
with some water added,I will get him to try it out as I've grown things from seed in sand too. But that's anough of me taking about things I've done. I hope you eat well whilst you were on holiday in the third world,as I know that there are people who live there who died through starvation. Which I'm trying to help stop on my own,because some people can't see no further than their own noses when it concerns others. :cry: John. J.R.P.
Message from J.R.P. Recycling, please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as it was
too.

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

John wrote:I hope you eat well whilst you were on holiday in the third world,as I know that there are people who live there who died through starvation.
John, you're crossing the line between debate and rudeness. Please moderate your comments or I shall have to ask admin to lock the thread. Thanks.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

thanks Hedgie, but its ok.

I didn't eat particularly well. However, if you look up where Jordan is, it is not classed as a third world country, it is a developed country. It does however have the same climate as a third world country.

I also went to India, the people here are desperately poor by our standards, but by their own standards, they are not. In India they have a different way of looking at life: 'In the west you are always looking to the man above you, wanting to be him. In the East, we are always looking at the man below us, glad to be us and not him'. There is not a lot you can do for poor people in a corrupt country. They grow their own food, and they make 50% of the profits from growing it, the other 50% go to the government, a harsh, ruthless regime run for the rich (as in many developed countries - see the Education system/tuition fee problems here). As a visitor, if you hand money to the beggars, you are not only risking your own life, but you are risking the lives of many children too. The beggars in India, China, Mexico and other poor countries will think notheing of either cutting babies limbs off, or breaking them and resetting them at an angle so that more stupid tourists feel sorry for them, and give them more money.

To be honest John, i think you have an ideal vision, which, whilst commendable, is never going to happen. The governments of India, Africa and other undeveloped countries are so corrupt that anyone found standing on their own two feet is knocked down again, no matter how rich or poor. I admire your persistence in trying to solve problems that are of a magnitude far to great for us to even scratch the surface of understanding, but sadly, ideas are not going to change the world.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hope you eat well whilst you were on holiday in the third world,as I know that there are people who live there who died through starvation.
Yes John I am afraid that I will have to take issue with your comments here. As you know we do our best to run a happy and freindly forum. Nothing wrong with heated debate but do be careful as coments such as these do seem abusive and so not in the nature of selfsufficientish.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

its ok, i didn't take it personally.

I think the same when i see newscasters walking around refugee camps filming for the BBC...

hedgewizard

That's all right then. *rolls sleeves back down*

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol:

Thanks!!

its a fair point that John made there to be honest. People go to places like Africa, India and China (the remote outer reaches of) all the time. broadcasters and 'celebrities' go for various reasons. They all look very well fed.

It takes more than that to worry/upset me!!

Boots

You know, I don't think he was being rude at all...

I think he was being genuine and literal - as in - I hope you will be ok there, as I have heard that things are not good...

None of us are likely to save the world, but we each try to do our bit and work from within our limited perspectives.

Everyone (me included) has pretty much come in here and gone "what's this guy on?" and started calling him out, but time soon teaches us that he has never ever wished anyone anything other that good things in the face of any criticism. Eccentric? idealistic? Enthusiastic? Yeah, maybe. None of those things are crimes, though.

Live and let live, I reckon.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

:mrgreen: :lol: Hi ALL who are interested in the way I do things. To day the 5-11-2006 I reveal my latist design in a upright transportable growing system,which is my latist project to help those who have not a lot of space on the ground surface,but have a fence or railings or a wall going round it,which could be used to help hold it in place. I designed it for children to use or someone in a wheelchair or someone who can't dig any more. I've added 3 photos to my Cereal Crop Growing photo page for you to look at,and I've changed others on my 3 other Crop Growing pages too,which I hope will change your mind about digging in the future. My Project is to be used by our local community to show a different way of growing things,and to have fun too doing it, by adding some colours to the containers to show who's who's when in use. With a end result of a Private back yard with lots of coloured plastic containers surrounding it,with lots of different things growing in them, which also has a new green wire screen as a backing too,attached to railings which go all the way round it. Which my 3 photo show the first 3 stages of on my website. I have other designs for you to look at in the future which I hope you will find of interest too. May you and yours live long and happy to see lots of fireworks. John. J.R.P.
Last edited by john on Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
too.

hedgewizard

That's actually a good idea, although you'll need to research how close those upright systems can be to each other before they shade each other, and only the top run of them will be suitable for growing anything more than, say, ten inches high, and they'll need to face south.

There are plenty of commercial systems like this available, but this would be a good way to do it yourself from recycled material. By the way, the top photo is from someone trying to sell these, and did you ever see such an obviously faked bunch of plants? There are no growing tips on those rosemaries! I wonder how well that thing really works? I'd have thought that unless you rotate it, at least one side will grow nothing much.

You might get a few pointers from this website though; vertical farms.

hedgewizard

Once again though John, don't keep posting the same thing in lots of threads. EVERYBODY CAN SEE ALL OF THEM. The site doesn't have infinite storage space, you know!

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

:mrgreen: Hi Hedgewizard,thanks to you I've just sent a e-mail to Dr Dickson Despommier at the Environment Health Science of Columbia University,to see if he is interested in my ideas,like you and others are. I will let you know how I got on.

By design I've allowed for up tp 16-20 inches for the height of something to grow,like Potatoes for example. Being spaced out like they are they work very well because you only need light,not direct light for anything to grow,mother nature does the rest. Plus mine are made for next to nothing,what more can one man offer to be used by so many people to help re-use some of our waste,to help reduce it going into landfill sites in the UK and in the rest of the world. It's a shame that some people look at my ideas in a negative way :( :cheers: anyway. John. J.R.P.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

:mrgreen: Hi ALL,it has been suggested I put a link in my message to the relevant page on my website,because it might get more people looking.
But if I did that people might not look at anything else,in regards to spreading the word. John. J.R.P.
too.