Wild Food Christmas Prezzies

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Wild Food Christmas Prezzies

We've decided that this year we would like to give our nearest and dearest home made prezzies. So far we've made sloe gin (and managed not to drink all of it!). We've collected acorns to make acorn flour - but aren't too sure of recipes etc. I'd love to hear of any biscuit recipes or similar using acorn flour and any other yummy things we could make for a hamper.
Regards
Helen and Chris

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wild Food Christmas Prezzies

Milims wrote:We've decided that this year we would like to give our nearest and dearest home made prezzies. So far we've made sloe gin (and managed not to drink all of it!). We've collected acorns to make acorn flour - but aren't too sure of recipes etc. I'd love to hear of any biscuit recipes or similar using acorn flour and any other yummy things we could make for a hamper.
Regards
Helen and Chris
Acorn flour was used by the indegiounous tribes of America when nothing else was available it is not the best tasting substance. You can make flour out of chestnuts instead.

The common mallow can be used in wild food cooking as a substitute for egg whites.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

2steps

we do the same :) how about jams or chutneys and pickled onions

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I have a huge bag of sloes in my freezer ready for some gin and I tried making jam last year but it sucked so badly that I vowed never to do it again.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

red

you can make blackberry brandy... same way as sloe gin.. only.. with blackberries and brandy!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

2steps

I saw a recipe online for rowan vodka, I think while looking up wine recipes yesterday. It was some type of drink with rowan anyway :lol: I could dig out the recipe if you like? am thinking of doing some myself as there is tons of rowan here

Shirley

Would love that recipe if you can find it 2Steps... lots of them around here too.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

2steps

here you go :)

pour a bottle of vodka over 1 lb frozen rowan berries Let stand for 4-6 days. Filter it and let it mature for at least 3 months before tasting.
makes a simple, schnapps.

or

1 kg rowan berries
1 orange
1 piece of fresh ginger
1/2 cinnamon stick
8-10 cloves
15 juniper berries
50 grams brown sugar
Vodka

Slice the orange. Put everything on a Kilner jar. cover with vodka. Let the jar stand somewhere dark but not too cold. The longer the berries are left to infuse, the longer the drink needs to mature (it will probably not taste very good at the beginning) at least the same time it spent infusing in the first place to mature. Try four months infusing and six months maturing

shiney

If I can just scrump or ask for the apples I saw sitting on a tree up the road, I will be making chutney. Its such a shame so many people leave their apples to rot on the tree.

I have made my pickled shallots, onions and eggs for pressies so far.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I'm thinking pickles this year, and maybe not all found food 'cos I tried making forage jam last year and to be honest, MY JAM SUCKS.

I'm hopeless at bread too. :cry:
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

2steps

I remember my first jam, it was elderberry and totally didn't set cos there wasn't enough pectin I guess. so I started making all jam apple and...... now I make some with jam sugar and they are fine. I love blackberry jam mmmmm spread on thick crusts - lovely