Old time tips - Natural insect destroyer

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Old time tips - Natural insect destroyer

One of my favorite tips that I have come across -

As an insect destroyer the juice of the potato plant is said to be of great value; the leaves and stems are well boiled in water, and when the liquid is cold it is sprinkled over plants attacked with insects, when it at once destroys caterpillars, black and green flies, gnats, and other enemies to vegetables, and in no way impairs the growth of the plants. A peculiar odor remains, and prevents insects from coming again for a long time.

The Farm and Household Cyclopedia - circa 1888
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

FluffyMuppet
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Homemade pesticides

Without wishing to be a party pooper, I believe homemade pesticides are now illegal... unless they've been tested and approved by the government.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow!

In the American parlance - that really sucks! Mind you, it would be worth checking with your Dept of Ag or whoever, sometimes these things can turn out to be rumours.

The other thing to consider is how on earth would they know?

If it is true though, talk about big brother!
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

FluffyMuppet
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

re: that sucks

That's one way of looking at it. The other way of looking at it is that potato foliage (for example) is toxic to humans. Potato plants contain solanine, which is a nerve toxin that can build up in your system. I don't think we know what effect that would have on people.

Still want to spray it on your bugs?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most alkaloids are soluble and can be washed off, so a quick rinse away you go. I think that there is a danger here of over-regulation. most people are intelligent enough that, with a modicum of information can use these products safely, and a t least you know what is in it.
:lol:
Plus there are many botanicals that have been used safely for many years. It seems a bit bloody minded to regulate the lot, even if there were a few that caus :drunken: e problems.
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bimey

Blimey O'Riely I did not realise that I was starting such a controversial topic. I will look into it and see how harmful to humans it is. Wombat is of course right there is no way I would be found out for it, but fluffy Muppet is right too. The harm to myself aside I would no want to be responsible for harm to others on my allotment. I have put that info on the main site and on a few other message boards so I will defo look into it and ensure that I am not making the world (or at least a few people) seriously ill.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging