eco balls

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

eco balls

I had a look for these on ebay and found most of them need some type of pellets replacing in them after so long.

Where have other people bought them from and are they all supposed to use pellets inside?

jondy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Never heard of these before. Looked on ebay and found lots of these washing devices. Of note perhaps, was one advert saying, 'used once includes refills' (price from 99p I think) indicating one person probably thought them to be no good. They might be O.K., who has tried them?

John

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

can any body give me a link where i can buy genuine eco balls from because the ones on ebay containing pellets seem a bit strange to me.

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

I was going to buy some of these until I went to my ethical supermarket to get some. The lady won't stock them as they are made for pennies in China and sold for rather a lot of money here. Hence, I didn't get any. I have been using Bio D products for clothes washing.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

DaisyDaisy
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've been using them and although the clothes smell clean the lighter ones look grubby.
I've decided that a compromise here is to wash the dark clothes with the eco balls and the light items with ecover tablets
:flower: :flower:

chutney-ferret
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My mother-in-law gave me some and i've been using them for 18months now. THey're fine - nearly as good as eco washing powder, but i do use powder for whites and nappies (they don't get rid of pongs and really bad dirt). However, i've never managed to find out what's in them . I think when they do run out, I'm going to try out soap nuts, as they are still more plastic crap to go in the landfill at the end of the day.

Shirley

I thought they were refillable.

You can send off for a free sample of soapnuts from www.inasoapnutshell.com

Daisy Daisy - stop buying light clothes :mrgreen: :wink:

Shiney - That's a hugely important fact and one that I wasn't aware of.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

townie smallholder
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi All..

I was thinking about trying out the soap nuts.. but before i jumped in and ordered some I thought I would ask here what everyone thought of them and what they are like with Whites etc..

Are they any good?

TS

Chickpea

It has been suggested to me that these are a con and no different from washing your clothes in plain water. If so, I find my clothes are plenty clean with the balls so maybe I will just use plain water from now on.

As I type, I am conducting a highly scientific controlled double-blind randomised experiment to discover the TRUTH (i.e. I am washing some clothes in just plain water to see how they come out) and will report back.

But in the mean time, does anyone else have any opinions or better still facts about these washing balls?

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

CP - I would be interested in the results of your experiment, but may I suggest an improvement - add some smooth pebbles (for example) to the plain water wash, to simulate the mechanical pounding that the clothes would recieve from the eco-balls. I have a feeling (based on pure prejudice and guesswork) that this may be a contributing factor to the eco-balls' effect.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have also heard that eco balls are a con, and just as good as washing in plain water... They do however claim to be anti-bacterial.

I think that all are refill-able but the refills cost almost as much as the balls. Also if people knew they are being made for pennies in China I am sure they wouldn't sell very many. - Now I know, I won't buy any.

Ann

Chickpea

I did some experiments yesterday and the results are posted on my blog. In upshot, I already knew that washing balls are about as good as detergent. But it seems that they're also about as good as washing with just plain water.

In other words, preliminary findings are that wash balls are a rip-off, and so is laundry powder.

All you need is just plain (cool - I wash at 40degrees) water for most of your loads, and maybe keep some detergent or washing soda for really bad stains.

wulf

I saw that on your blog this morning - I look forward to hearing the results of your ongoing experiments.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just purchased some stuff from an online store and was offered free eco ball. So will experiment as well.
The balls are supposed to create a reaction in the water that helps make your clothes softer too. I think it's basically that oxygen is made to work through the clothes, better than washing with water alone.

At the moment, I use ecover powder and generally use half or even less than the recommended amount. Doubt I'll get ecover in the Balkans, so was interested in these eco balls. P*sses me off about where they're made.
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.