Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.

yes
78%
no
22%

Total votes: 9

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have noticed that a few people forget to log in before a post and end up as guest. Shall I make it so you have to log in before you can post so that this won't happen?

I was reluctant to do this as it could put off people from leaving the random single posts, but that does not seem to happen often.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

If it was up to me, I'd leave it as it is - it's not a major problem either way, but a forum that you have to log in to can be a little off putting to a casual reader. I've inadvertently posted as a guest before now, but it didn't seem to do me any harm.

At the moment I link to this forum with a simple shortcut on my desktop; I've set the automatic login (as I use the Firefox browser, I can keep the specific cookies that enable this, even if the rest get deleted - maybe this is possible with other browsers?), and the shortcut takes me straight to the 'View posts since last visit' page. So with a single click I am logged in and taken straight to any unread posts.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would never set it up to be a forum that you have to log into just read, I think that they are just creating a rod for there back. Will end up having to set rules for deleting users that don't post and all that sort of rubbish, why make a forum all cloak and dagger?

As long as it is not a problem, I thought it might help to have a reminder to log in. But don't want to put off any new commers.
and...... Twitter

Millymollymandy

I'm always logged on when I come to the site via my favourites. I thought it was a bit odd when I saw postings by guests because the other sites I use don't allow that. But I don't think it makes much difference.

wulf

We're not particularly plagued with spam so I don't think it's a high priority. Mind you, I've set myself to login automatically from the two machines I normally use, so it's not been a problem for me.

Wulf

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

wulf wrote:We're not particularly plagued with spam so I don't think it's a high priority.
Theres been a little bit which I got rid of sharpish, but no not much at all. I think when that does happen it is the time to set up logging in before you post. Does that sound ok?
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

That sounds reasonable to me mate! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/