lets just say...........

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

lets just say...........

lets just say.........

anything that will make this place better, what do you want?
Last edited by Andy Hamilton on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

Photo albums maybe?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Chickpea

I like the photo album idea. How about some new articles? I've read all the old ones. Actually I've got a few articles written or partly written if you're interested. Lets have a look - sprouting beans, making yogurt and soft cheese, natural beauty, natural household cleaning. Any of those appeal?

More frequent updating of the site. If it wasn't for the forums I probably wouldn't come here very often. But if there was often something new and interesting to read or look at I would.

Resources, such as a directory of links to online shops, categorised by fair trade, organic, recycled, food, clothing, gifts, something like that.

Easier site to get around. It can be very difficult to navigate, to be sure I've been everywhere and seen everything, and it's difficult to find things again ("I know there was an article about ... but I'm damned if I can find it now"). This one would be my biggie. you've been threatening to reorganise it for ages. It really needs doing now it's grown.

Ah, this reads like a big whinge now. I don't mean it like that. I love ssish and I tell people all about it. Keep up the good work chaps.

Martin

a caveat on the picture thing - pictures take up colossal amounts of webspace, which is ludicrously, and unnecessarily expensive - it's far better from Andy's point of view for photos to be stored offsite (Flickr or similar), and the photos linked to - they appear just the same, but Andy's servers aren't brought to their knees by the effort! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Martin

I reckon you need a pukka webshop -somewhere you could flog people's artwork on commission - in fact almost anything the community wants to flog! - you could also get "fulfillment" - you make contact with companies who offer ssf stuff, and raise the orders, which they fulfill! (no stock, no risk!) :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Boots

Oh yeah, I see. Good call.

Maybe just a sticky thread we could link into then... Where we can display links to our albums, blogs etc. for easy access and a way of showing the ripple effect, maybe?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

A www.selfsufficientish.com sticker to put in the window of my car and campervan would be nice and would also give the site free advertising.

Millymollymandy

I'm happy how the site is now but have been having problems with slowness again lately, presumably it's the amount of traffic on the site and the server? So anything that can be done about that although I don't understand any of the technicalities of any of it!

red

yeh I agree with MMM - i like it just the way it is.. but sometimes its slow.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Boots

Does a site get slow. or is it our comps?

I notice if I have left my comp on all day and am still jabberin on here late at night it gets slow, but I always thought that was just because I needed to restart and wipe out the junk I'd stored during the day?

Is it the actual site?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, Boots, it is I'm afraid. Sometimes it just gets too slow here but other forums/sites come up OK. Andy said his server was not all it was cracked up to be so he is obviously having some problems!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep webshop on its way. - hoping to have the best and most ethical suppliers for everthing that I can. Will have more time in the new year to work on it, simply just not had any time of late. The server will also change in the new year from this crappy one to a managed host. We have also put an application to trademark the name and logo of selfsufficientish, there has been a couple of companies trying to trade under the name that has nothing to do with us.

There is a good reason that we have not put any articles up recently, more will be revealed in the new year. There will be new ones up in Januaury though. - Do send us some articles if you have them chickpea.

Photo album is a good idea but yep takes up loads of space which could ultimately be very expensive and slow the site down. But there is a hack I can put onto the forum which makes it much easier to post your photos will look into it and perhaps have another interactive part of the site. How about selfsufficientish bloggers or something?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Millymollymandy

Bloomin' cheek, fancy other people stealing and using your name. :angryfire:

The Chili Monster

MMM wrote:
Bloomin' cheek, fancy other people stealing and using your name. :angryfire:
Yes, it is. Unfortunately it's not unusual practice in business ... when I first sought business advice, the first pearl of wisdom I received was trademark my business name if I can (I can't because it's takes its name from a geographical area).

I always thought that Andy and Dave wanted to home page to look a bit, well, ramshackle. A kind of antedote to business-like and clinical.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

There is something, now I come to think of it. Just a little tweek to the setup.

When we reply to a message, nowhere on the page that includes the reply-box is the title of the thread we are replying to. Being someone who gets easily confused, and often has two or three reply pages open at once, I think it would be useful to know if I'm actually replying to the thread I think I am.

Is it possible to have the thread title appear at the top of the reply page, as it does on the message pages?
Stew

Ignorance is essential