Tips pretty please

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
titch7069
Tom Good
Tom Good

Tips pretty please

Badly need some tips, veggies on the whole growing well but, broccoli, cauliflower and savoy cabbage just not happening. has anyone any tips to pass on re: those veg? we're doing well growing stuff not previously grown here but broccoli for example grows on the mainland under similar conditions but ours sprouted from seed and then just disappeared as did the cabbage, cauliflower didn't even sprout!
Have sold up in the UK, now living on Mafia Island, in the middle of an old coconut plantation. We catch our fish, have chickens, grow fruit and veg. We are powered by solar and an ankur gasifier - no mains elec here!!
My blog is at www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/titch

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dissapeared??? Sounds like slugs or something eating them. Although slugs tend to leave broccoli. How about growing your plants indoors until they get too big for their pots then planting them out, that way they have a little head start.

Are you also crop rotating? If there has been other brassicas in that area then the pests might have built up.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

titch7069
Tom Good
Tom Good

we don't get slugs here, tanganyika trains (milipedes) but it's the wrong season for them. No brassicas grown on this ground for at least 20 years (thats how long the plots been empty), could be the heat but i don't know enough to be sure.
Have sold up in the UK, now living on Mafia Island, in the middle of an old coconut plantation. We catch our fish, have chickens, grow fruit and veg. We are powered by solar and an ankur gasifier - no mains elec here!!
My blog is at www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/titch

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day titch!

Brassicas are cool season crops, but I suggest the following -

1. start the seeds in punnets but then transfer to a larger pot, grow them on really well before planting out.
2. Make up a frame and cover it with shadecloth. Place the frame over freshly planted seedlings for a few weeks so that they are not exposed to the full heat of the sun straight away.

Good luck mate! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Tay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I too would love some tips as my brassicas have always failed. Slugs do like broccoli - I know! My cabbages never heart, and cauliflowers and broccoli, if they survive the slugs, seem to go straight to seed.
Not all those who wander are lost...