Protecting newly planted trees

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Protecting newly planted trees

Am planning to go up north in two weeks time to start planting a few willlow trees for a windbreak. Anyone have good ways to keep the deer and rabbits from eating them? I was going to use the bog standard plastic tree shelters & stakes and have read an article about using square fencing laid on the ground around the tree to keep animals away. Anyone ever try this?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Way back in the midsts of time when this forum first started someone wrote in with a problem with rabbits and apart from killing them on sight the other option involved placing a barrier underground so that they can't enter your property.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have read and heard that cat poop is supposed to keep away rabbits and hares and human hair tied in old stockings is supposed to keep away deer. Both must be refreshed reguarly, usually after a rain. My mother did use the hair in an old stocking with success in keeping the deer away from a long row of newly planted redwood trees (which they won't eat when they're mature, but apparently relish when they're young). This was in California, and about 15 years ago, and now those trees are quite large!

Cheers
Andrea
NZ

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

well... the beginnings of our plastic forest. lol started on the windbreak with salix viminalis . this is the first row of 4 only half done.

hopefully this will keep the bunnies and roe away. if not i'll be looking for some human hair and cat poop!

eek
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I wouldn't bother with the cat poop. I've got 3 cats who like to lounge in the garden and still have rabbits. Maybe it depends on what you are feeding the cats.... :roll:

Good luck!

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

my dad used pop bottles with both ends cut off so you have a plastic tube.
he then cut a slit up the side and wrapped an elastic band round them so the plastic could expand as the tree grew.

This coupled with a mulch mat made from old carpet has protected loads of trees hes planted over the years.

I hope this helps

red
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

ooo now that is a good idea.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog