storing onions etc

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

storing onions etc

ok i know im early but i have to ask how many ways can you store onions when you have harvested them,
i know i can put some on string but i will have alot this year so i will freeze some.
i have a cellar which has a freezer it gets warm and dry in there could i store them in a plastic box with holes so its well ventilated i have an attic room which is dry which some tomes gets a bit moisture from drying clothes does it matter if its a light room or a dark room, i know people store them in garages,i do have my plastic greebn houses any ideas please i thought my cellar with freezer night be best i do have a coal house which is ventilated with a gap above door fairly dry though.
so have a little bit of room in all places i have big beams in attic room which support the roof so i suppose could store some hanging down please give msome help i find things like this hard dunno just do
regards dave.

Dendrobium
Tom Good
Tom Good

Not really sure if they'd freeze well, but what about simply pickling a few? There's lots of options there from mild to superhot-spicy pickle recipies. Or combine with a few other vegies and spices to make relishes etc??? I'm sure there must be plenty of people on here with lots of recipies

Tay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have no idea about freezing them either. It isn't something that I'd do as onions store well.

Typically, I sort my onions into groups of small, medium, large and 'for immediate use', and then hang them in net bags from the beams in our loft. The ones for immediate use go into tomato soup which is then frozen, and the small ones are pickled.

I had tried storing the onions in cardboard crates, but something got into the crates and started stealing them... We found a pile of onions and shallots hidden a few days later. I have also tried storing them in an old freezer, but the room was too damp, and with no air circulating in the freezer, the onions soon started to go bad.
Not all those who wander are lost...

Millymollymandy

I hang mine in net bags too.