Chicory - in London?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
joholondon
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Chicory - in London?

I'm just writing my entry for chicory (the edible plants section of www.notesonsurvival.info ), but feel like a bit of a fraud because I've never seen it and don't recognise it from the pictures on t'internet.
Can anyone tell me precisely where I can go and see some growing in the wild, in London or near?

ohareward
Living the good life
Living the good life

Chicory

Hi joholondon, These two sites may be what you are looking for if you can't find them in the flesh.
Robin.
http://altnature.com/Herbs2003/pages/chicory

www.fotosearch.com/IGS655/is413-017/
'You know you are a hard-core gardener if you deadhead flowers in other people's gardens.

To err is human. To blame someone else, is management potential.

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wild chicory has bright blue flowers like this: :flower:

My thanks to Linda King's excellent website for that picture.
http://www.tlady.clara.net/edible/chic.htm

By the way, it's not just for tortoises! (You'll need to look at the site to get that...)

Commonly found on grass verges and wasteground. Very early in the year could be difficult to spot though, esp. if you're unfamiliar with it. Won't flower till much later in the year.

wyrdwoman

Wow Hedgehogpie, that site is excellent! Thanks.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Or are you talking about salad chicory (endive)? You could have a look in a supermarket! :lol:

joholondon

No it was the wild chicory I was after. Yes I've seen the tortoise woman's site - there was link from the Plants for a Future website. Those leaves look just like dandelion ones, don't they?
My fruits and veg encyclopaedia says the "almost iridescent blue flowers bloom incongrously on the stems as if stapled to the wrong plant". That, I want to see! I've also found out that the flowers are only open until about midday. Also pretty weird.
I'd still like to see the real McCoy, it doesn't feel right writing about something I haven't ever seen.

joholondon

Sorry Robin, didn't spot your reply the first time around. Thanks for your links. I've added the first to my favourites - unforturnately it doesn't include chicory! The other site shows a chicory cultivar (ahem!) rather than the wild thing.

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

:lol: Unfortunately you'll have a wee bit of a wait to see the flowers which may be an issue if you've a deadline to fulfil!

They're pretty common around here in the verges, and yes, the flowers are the most amazing shade of blue, but as I said you'd be hard pressed to spot a plant at this time of year unless you can recognise it by the leaf.

By the way, may I post your webby on another site? It would sit very well with some other links I've compiled.

joholondon

Yup, that'd be fine. I need to open the site up for a little scrutiny. What/Where is the list though?

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I mod on a little foraging/woodcraft section on the It's Not Easy Being Green forum. For some time now I've been compiling a list of useful links and adding to them as time goes on.

Yours would compliment another UK survivalist (although they prefer the term 'prepper') site I have listed (tend to avoid the American ones - they can lean towards gung-ho attitudes & are often overly militaristic :shock: ).

Also, any link to foraging/plant use etc. is a good link & worth having IMHO :mrgreen:

(Oh and my user name on there is chickenofthewoods....)

joholondon

Sorry Hedgehogpie (you have the best U Names), slight delay in the reply there. I intended to take a look at INEBG but I can't seem to grab a moment, but I will ... Thanks for your help.
Still not sure about how to draw the chicory leaves. Some Google images show them with massively indented serrations, others with slight waves. Perhaps that's just the natural range. Hm

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Have you tried getting hits with the common name and the latin name on Google images? That way you should be able to see what range of leaf shapes there might be. It's a very useful resource although you do have to take care to spot the occasional mis-identified posting.

Our local Horseradish stands have wildy variable leaves, from incredibly deeply serrated to quite smooth edged I was wondering if it was a viral thing - like the virus that causes variagation in plants. Or maybe it's just a natural variation.

Oh, & thanks for the comment about the usernames :lol:

contadina

Wild chicory is related to the dandelion family which would explain why they often get confused. Both are eaten with relish at this time of year either raw or braised then covered in olive oil and a little salt. We're currently waiting for ours to grow spears in the middle as these are great cooked by the method mentioned above. I can post a picture of them (pre-flower) if you like...?