Private airmail carrier

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Private airmail carrier

Does anybody know anything about pigeons? We often get a carrier pigeon resting on the farm for a day or two, picking up a bit of food, and then flying on. But we've now had one for about a week, and she (or he?) shows no signs of wanting to leave...

How do I best try to catch her? There is a ring, and I believe you can see something or other from the number on it. She's also limping (probably out of sympathy with me, as I'm hobbling about with a stick at the moment, too :wink: ). She now always waits for me (and a handful of barley) at feeding time morning and afternoon. Maybe she heard that our e-mail system often breaks down, and offers her services as alternative!

But there might be an owner wishing she'd return, so if I can get her on her way, I'd like to do that. Any ideas?

Ina

PS: I tried to send this last night, and when I clicked on submit - guess what - the b****y thing crashed ... :shock: It must have noticed me writing about the unreliability of our system, and taken offence! Fortunately I managed to save it on word, I hate typing mails again. Oh, the joys of computers. Can we start a forum that uses pigeons? It would be a bit slower, but maybe more reliable???

Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have had racing pigeons stop by for a rest in the past. They are quite easy to catch once you get them a snack.... Then take down the number on leg ring and look up Royal Pigeon Racing Assoc. on web. This has a section for listing lost birds and also a what-to-do-if-you-find-one bit.

I had one stay for a week once. In the end I got the owners name and phone number and gave them a call in case they were worried. By the time I'd got back to the garden he'd gone. Guess he knew he was in trouble at home. Anyway, he only had 25 miles to go... :roll:

Millymollymandy

That's interesting as last time I spoke to my Mum on the phone she'd had one hanging around for about a week too. Must call her to see if it's still there then I can look the number up for her. Thanks for the info.

Chickenlady

We had one too. It hung around for ages and looked so awful that we contacted the owner by the means previously mentioned and they organised for a courier to collect him!

We had another one a few months after that had been injured. I saw it on the roof and thought I would find the owner when I got home. Unfortunately, by the time I had returned one of the cats had killed it.

Dodgy business, being a carrier pigeon!

ina

Yes, my cat has been stalking this one, too. So far without success. I tried to catch it this morning, but as I am bit slow on my feet at the moment, I didn't get it either! It lets me come quite close, but only so far.

Oh well, if it's still here when my feet have recovered (strained something or other quite badly), I shall give it another try. At least I now know where to go to find the owner. Thanks for that info.

Ina

IrishAbroad
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'll ask me Granma-in-law - she's the secretary or treasurer or summit of the RPRA - she'll know what to do - she's the "wise woman" :lol:

ina

Great, thanks! She/he/it has now discovered that it is possible to spend the night inside the shed in more comfort... Currently it's sitting on a striplight, which means we have to walk around that area for fear of "mucky attacks" from above! Even my colleague, who is not know for being sentimental, said it can stay, the poor bird has a bad leg...

Ina