Infrasound

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Infrasound

Out of pure interest I was just looking around for some infrasound MP3's to see if it really does cause strange happenings. I can safely say, maybe it does.

Infrasound is a frequency that is too low for the human ear to hear and when heard it can cause feelings of awe and fear. It has been linked to ghostly goings on in places.

I am reluctant to give any links but it is worth reading up on- if you are interested in the goings on in the human mind or ghosts and such.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

... and the infamous brown note!

The problem with finding an infrasound MP3 is getting suitable equipment to play it on. My bass (six strings) can go down to a B at about 30 Hz; however, even purpose-made bass amps often wimp out on reproducing such low notes, relying instead on psychoacoustic effects (so your brain thinks it hears 30Hz when the lowest pitch it is getting at any volume may be 60Hz).

Therefore, it is very hard to do infrasound research at home!

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep I did wonder if the eerie feelings I got were psychosomatic. I doubt that the little tinney speakers on my laptop really have the capability to produce such low frequencies.

It was interesting to read that there have been links with naturally occurring infrasound and ghostly visions. Bank tube station is one of the places where naturally occurring infrasound happens and one of the most 'haunted' tube stations too.

(cheers for the tea the other day BTW was good to meet you in person propally and your wife too)
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sound is a very interesting concept.
As you've said, there's the infrasound that affects the way you feel and affects your perception.

There's also ultrasound - dogs and teenagers can hear it apparently. They're playing it at a local train station after dark to stop the 'gangs'.

My college course has parts that deal with sounds (coincidentally, the next one is in 2 weeks time). I'll see what my tutor has to say about the ghost principal.

I'm going to have to download some of those for myself and have a go.

I do find myself asking whether it was infrasound that saved the animals in the tsunami - they fled to higher ground before the wave even though about striking - was there something in the air? or did they hear it?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

wulf wrote:... and the infamous brown note!

Wulf
The mythbusters debunked that one!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/