Did they do it right?

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
flaja
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Did they do it right?

I’ve hearing about the BBC program The Good Life for several years now, but it wasn’t until about a month ago that I managed to see any of the episodes. I realize the limitations of TV, but I cannot help but think the Goods went about their self-sufficiency the wrong way.

Tom should have continued to work as long at it took to:

1. Purchase several year’s worth of clothing and other supplies they will eventually wear out and use up;
2. Purchase all of the tools and equipment and build all necessary buildings and structures they will need to maintain their self-sufficient lifestyle;
3. Have an income to fall back on while they learn all of the self-sufficiency skills they will need (cooking, gardening, animal care et cetera).

Tom should be willing to do freelance work since he will likely have free time once their homestead is fully established; maintaining a garden takes less labor than building one and there will be times when the weather will prevent him from doing any work outside (he’s the type that will climb the walls if left idle).

With Tom’s graphic arts background he should consider publishing a gardening newsletter or almanac in order to generate spare income. Their goal should have never been to survive without money.

The Good’s house seems to be bigger than they need, so why not take in a boarder- they could have either cash income or a source of labor.

Bonniegirl
A selfsufficientish Regular

lol! Bit late to change it now flaja!

But I know what you're saying! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup, all very good points and i agree with you and am doing similar myself, but -

The show was a television comedy not a how-to.

We are currently getting a "new" program called the "Real Good life" where 3 families are given a bit of cash and take a year off to try the whole self sufficiency bit. None have any previous experience and none of them so far have as much as picked up a book. At least one family are definitely not gonna make it because they are hopeless - no committment.

But I am sure that the series was designed that way - it does not provide info, but "entertainment", such as it is. :roll:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Boots

When's that on, Nev?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is that an upside down programme?
When's it on if not? (or, any idea when it will be shown here?)

baldowrie

think Tom left the 9-5 for the same reason many do, it was all too much and he wanted out!

flaja
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

baldowrie wrote:think Tom left the 9-5 for the same reason many do, it was all too much and he wanted out!
In Tom's case I don't think it was too much; I think he was just bored to death. Jerry is the one that would have a stroke because of the pressure of his job.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

The "Real Goodlife" is a UK show, so I kind of assumed you guys had seen it over there.

I'm afraid it's on the lifestyle channel boots (pay TV) from 8:00 to 8:30 of a Monday night. Is there anyone near you that has pay TV access?

I saw an interview with Richard Briars years ago and he was amazed at the effect the show had on getting people to go self sufficient. As far as he and the writers were concerned it was more about mid-life angst than anything else........

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

dammit. looks like i've missed it!!
Does it have a website?

Millymollymandy

It started to be shown in the UK about a year or so ago but was pulled after two shows!

Some time later they showed the full series (I think only 6 episodes) during the afternoon, so I missed the rest of it.

I don't think it was very popular but I would have liked to see the rest of it.

Google it and you'll probably still find the blurb about it.

The blonde lady in it came on to the A Country Life forum to tell us how it wasn't at all as shown on TV (like all these progs, they edit out so much in order to portray people as a bunch of *******). :lol: