Winging Pom Has Winge

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thomzo - i starrt asking them questions. Afterall, they ask me stupid security questions, and how do i know that they are who they say they are, so i start with things like 'Managing director's name' and end with thingsa like 'hair colour, what you got for your 5th birthday and inside leg measurement'. Our junk calls have decreased a lot lately!

And its so much fun!

Paddy's mum
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

If you REALLY want to know how to get your own back on salesman who call just when you're in the shower/on the loo/about to eat, try this one!

http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

First got this on moneysavingexpert and it had me in fits!!

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I thought that trading standards were getting stores in the UK to clean up their act with regards to in-store cards. There was so much bad publicity a couple of years back that I'm stunned that any are still pursuing this route. If Matalan are taking adverts out to stress that you don't need one, it sounds as though it has already backfired on them.

As well as stores trying to offer/dupe you into accepting store cards beware of shops that insist on taking your personal details. These are sold onto third parties who will indiscriminately send you lots of junk mail.

I'd definitely vote with my feet if a store treated me so badly. I'd also second the suggestion to start visiting charity shops as you'll be able to find stuff that's better quality than Matalan that will probably last longer.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

the.fee.fairy wrote:Thomzo - i starrt asking them questions. Afterall, they ask me stupid security questions, and how do i know that they are who they say they are, so i start with things like 'Managing director's name' and end with thingsa like 'hair colour, what you got for your 5th birthday and inside leg measurement'. Our junk calls have decreased a lot lately!

And its so much fun!
:lol: :lol: After all they waste your time so I am quite happy to waste theirs. I am registered with the telephone preference service. I often let them chatter way for ages then tell them that I am registered and suddenly they ring off. No "goodbye", no "sorry to have wasted your time", nothing. That's how you know you have p***d them off. It has the same effect and it is fun.

Lets start a "get your own back on telesales campaign".

Oh, and I have just checked Matalan's website and apparently the card is supposed to be free. I'm definitely going to ask for my money back in a very loud voice.

Zoe

glenniedragon

I also belong to a telephone preference service, but it doesn't stop existing providers trying to push their latest offers. I did well the other evening I got the caller from BT put the phone down exasperated as I avoided telling them who my call provider was, who provided our broadband, how much I was paying for international calls...When they ring back next time I'm going to ask them how they justify the new charges introduced to customers who don't pay by DD, I'm gonna get blacklisted if its the last thing I do. Proper Customer care does seem to be a thing of the past.

Kind thoughts
Deb

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

The Matalan website wrote: Matalan card

Matalan's unique free card scheme offers a number of benefits. The card is free and as well as saving you up to 50% off high street prices*, you will be sent regular updates of our new collections and special offers, direct to your home. We'll also let you know about forthcoming sale events. With a superb choice of the newest looks for all the family, as well as our fantastic value homewares, its no wonder Matalan is the fastest growing fashion retailer.
Now I think this has changed, you used to have to pay a pound and join 'matalan' to shop there. That was always enough to put me off. It would seem it's changed to a voluntery card without any of the usual loyaltly benifits. It would seem not all of Matalan's staff know what's going on - it may indeed be a recent developement.

Personally I don't like the clotehs there - and I'm increasingly of the belief that any shops situated on or near retails parks ony serve to make people unhappy.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Wormella wrote:I'm increasingly of the belief that any shops situated on or near retails parks ony serve to make people unhappy.
Hee hee. I like that. You should put that in your sig.

I was last in the store two or three years ago, and no one said anything about a card. I don't even remember being offered one, let alone it becoming a question of eligibility. I'd've remembered that. There was absolutely no issue raised about it - it was just a normal shopping trip.

The irony was, that as I was being told it was impossible to buy clothes without a card, and my credit card was refused, I was actually wearing Matalan clothes from the previous, cardless, visit. As soon as the staff knew the manager was on his way, their story changed course by 180 degrees.

Anyway, I've had a bit of a moan, and people here have been good enough to listen. I feel a bit better for it; I know a bit better what I feel about this sort of store. But I think I should try and avoid going any further down the moaning route.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

Other than the card thing I've been happy enough with Matalan, I've got a card and go shopping there with friends, we blatantly pass the card around at the checkout and the staff accept that.
We've also found the card very useful for impromptu in-car picnics as it spreads butter, pate and soft cheese wonderfully :lol:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

pskipper wrote:We've also found the card very useful for impromptu in-car picnics as it spreads butter, pate and soft cheese wonderfully :lol:
Ewww!
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/