Laptops plugged in or not

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Laptops plugged in or not

Probably a silly question but if I plug in my laptop let it charge up and then turn off the power until the battery drains am I using less electricity than if I just left it plugged in?

I am assuming that left plugged in is the way forward but not 100% certain.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Cheezy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Don't know about the 'leccy usage, however I believe it is better for the battery to charge then completly discarge rather than continually being topped up. It's life (so I am lead to believe) should be longer.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

wulf

I think it depends on the type of battery. Mine is plugged in most of the time and on a lot and the battery still seems to be okay about 3.5 years in.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

revdode
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm with Wulf. AFAIK only older laptop batteries really suffer from being run charged all the time. I tend to keep my laptop connected to the mains when in use most of the time. The battery life is as good if not very slightly better than it was when I first bought it nearly two years ago.
I could probably save a small amount of power running the battery down as the charger / power supply usage seems to be pretty much the same when running the laptop whether the battery is empty or fully charged.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Cheezy wrote:I believe it is better for the battery to charge then completly discarge
I think that was an issue with NiCad batteries - they had to be completely discharged or they wouldn't charge properly. But with newer NiMH and LIon batteries, it doesn't seem to b a problem.

But to answer the original question I don't really know which way would use least electricity. Charging a battery is not a particularly efficient use of electricity in the first place - better to use the laptop directly plugged in if possible. But if you run it from the battery - I dunno. So, no help there at all, then.

I seem to recall that I posted links to a couple of battery FAQs in a post a while ago; if you do a search you might find them, and they may have some better answers.
Stew

Ignorance is essential