Linux users?

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
urbanwookie
Tom Good
Tom Good

Linux users?

Hi...

I noticed a thread below that suddenly turned into a Linux discussion so thought I'd start another one!

I'm a Linux sysadmin by day (and night too, sometimes!) and a potting-shed anarchist by, erm, evening and weekend?!

Anyway...I'm happy to advise, console or debug where I can if anyone wants to discuss the One True Operating System...not that I'm on a mission, you understand! :wink:

urb

revdode
Tom Good
Tom Good

One true OS - RSX-11m?

Some of us are getting on a bit.

urbanwookie
Tom Good
Tom Good

revdode wrote:One true OS - RSX-11m?

Some of us are getting on a bit.
I might grudgingly give you VMS...

:roll:

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

Gosh, geek-central. I'll probably fit right in :lol:

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

magnuscanis
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well, my OSes of choice are all unix flavoured.

I've been running one or another variety of Linux as my main OS at home for several years. At the moment, I'm with Ubuntu.

- Magnus

revdode
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm running the Kubuntu flavour of Ubuntu myself. Very nice operating system that just works, straight install no tweaking I'm impressed and just a little disappointed. No more midnight sessions compiling kernels and fighting to get windows crippled hardware to run.
I've used Linux for over twelve years having finally been beaten by Minix (on the Atari ST), my love of unix started at college too many years ago, plain text and simple programs are what convinced me. Over the years I've tried various BSDs but alway come back to Linux, just a shame I can't run it at work:-(

urbanwookie
Tom Good
Tom Good

magnuscanis wrote: I've been running one or another variety of Linux as my main OS at home for several years. At the moment, I'm with Ubuntu.
- Magnus
How do you find it? I've got a straight Debian build on a couple of servers at work but I can barely remember when I didn't run SuSE on my desktop.

However, with the various problems SuSE faces after the Novell deal, I'm looking for a new desktop distro. Can't decide whether to try Ubuntu or just go with Debian "Etch".

urb

magnuscanis
Tom Good
Tom Good

urbanwookie wrote:
magnuscanis wrote: I've been running one or another variety of Linux as my main OS at home for several years. At the moment, I'm with Ubuntu.
- Magnus
How do you find it? I've got a straight Debian build on a couple of servers at work but I can barely remember when I didn't run SuSE on my desktop.

However, with the various problems SuSE faces after the Novell deal, I'm looking for a new desktop distro. Can't decide whether to try Ubuntu or just go with Debian "Etch".

urb
I rather like Ubuntu, although it does sometimes seem to be trying a bit too hard to look and work like Windows.

Actually, I use Xubuntu, the version with the XFCE desktop manager. Partly that's because it's a bit less Windows-like than Gnome. I certainly prefer XFCE to either Gnome or KDE, although as long as I have easy access to a command line I'm happy.

I'd certainly recommend giving one or other version of Ubuntu a try.

- Magnus

The Chili Monster

Well I'm just one big WIMP (in both senses of the word) and so I'll be sticking to Xandros Desktop for the time being.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

wulf

Xubuntu is also much current choice - I've been using it for about three years (back when it was just Ubuntu but choosing to use XFCE to reduce the memory footprint) and have found it excellent.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

i use ubuntu. yesterday i was messing trying to make my computer slower, but this morning it wouldnt boot into linux, so i am now copying all my data onto disks via a livecd boot, and gonna give 7.04 release ago... it just gets better with each new release!

also building a very basic system for my parents to access internet on, out of 4 dead computers. probably try DamnSmallLinux on that, with a 4gb hdd.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

catalyst wrote:i use ubuntu. yesterday i was messing trying to make my computer slower, but this morning it wouldnt boot into linux
During my troublesome Linux learning curve, I found GAG (Graphical Boot Manager) and Super Grub Disk to be pretty useful at booting into lost systems and doing (some) repairs to the MBR.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks stew, but i was able to save to disk most important stuff, by booting from my second hdd.
and i am well pleased with feisty fawn ubuntu... much faster, smooth... and my pc is now quieter :)