Green Tomato Jam

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Green Tomato Jam

GREEN TOMATO JAM

Ingredients

1.2 kg tomato flesh
1 kg jam sugar OR 1.2 kg ordinary sugar (caster or granulated)
1 lemon

Put tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds to make them easier to peel.

Peel them, cut them into quarters and dispose of the juice and pips.

Now weigh them.

Cut the lemon into fine slices.

Put the tomato flesh, the sliced lemon and the sugar into a suitable jam making pan and mix together.

Bring to the boil. Stirring all the time maintain boiling point for 7 minutes if using jam sugar, or 15 to 20 minutes if using ordinary sugar.

Check the cooking by putting a few drops onto a cold plate then tilt – the jam should run slowly.

Skim and put immediately into sterilised jars.

Makes 5 x 385ml jars.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks good M3! How'sit taste?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

I think it's a bit like grapefruit marmelade but not so bitter. It's a French thing. I haven't made it before but I may have to this autumn!

ina

Sounds good to me - and if my tomatoes keep refusing to turn red I'll definitly be trying that out! I remember a visit to (the old) Yugoslavia, about 30 years ago, where we were served a very yummy gateaux that was made with green tomato jam. My tomato plants look like they are developing some weirdo disease - long, black stringy bits hanging next to the tomatoes... Maybe it just needs more banana skins.

Ina

sunpuppy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Green Tomato Jam

Millymollymandy wrote: Skim and put immediately into sterilised jars.
Hi MMM,

I'm going to have a go at making this cos' I've got a load of green tomatoes that I inadvertently cut off when "pruning" my monster tomato plants, but I'm not sure about a couple of things (these are going to be really "dunce-like" questions....)

1. What kind of jars do you use? Just normal jam jars?
2. What's the best way to sterilise them - i.e. boiling water and how long do you leave it in the jars for to be sure they're sterilised OK. (And can you do this to normal jam jars without them cracking and breaking?)

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

You can buy new jars, but you can also use your old jam ones, and just buy those cellophone seals and rubber bands. My Mum sterilises her jars in the oven, put clean jars in the cold oven and turn it on. The jars shouldn't crack, as they are heated up gradually.

Millymollymandy

You can use ordinary jam jars and reuse the top, no need for cellophane. Just make sure it doesn't smell of Branston Pickle!! The only time we used cellophane with a pickle it went mouldy.

For sterilising I do the following which I got from a book on jam/pickle making. Put jars and lids in cold oven, put on at 130C and leave for half an hour. Then take them out, put a clean tea towel over them until you are ready to put the jam/pickle in. I try to time it so that the jam jars don't sit around for too long after they've been sterilised.

I never do the water bath thing afterwards as I never have understood any of this palaver!

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think I will try this jam....I make a lot of Jam and always sterilise the jars in the oven for a long time on a low oven and I've never had mould, and I can't be bothered with cellophane tops either...just put the lids back on and put them away in the cupboard where it's dark. I also usually make a lot of green tomato chutney which I can recommend...all my family and friends love it so I always make loads.....I will be relying on other people for their green toms this year as for some reason mine have nearly all turned red...it's never happened before...I do think it's the banana skins

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

sorry, I meant to say this is why I need the tomato soup recipe