Threshing Drum Designs

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
MadTom
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Threshing Drum Designs

I've got pigs on 1/4 acre and I thought I might grow some barley there next year - theres some useful advice on malting on the site.
I can knock the barley down with my scythe in about an hour but threshing by hand is a bit of a pain so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some designs for a threshing drum?
I've got a tractor so I could use the PTO for that...

autumnleaf

Well I've never actually done it but I vaguely remember reading somewhere a long long time ago (so I'm not accurate ok :wink: ) about a simple drum made of chicken wire. Wheat was rotated inside that and apparently did the job This chicken wire must obviously have been the small mesh type..I suppose.

Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Google for a peg-drum thresher - that's the old hand or machine turned thresher. After that, you'll need a winnower to seperate the chaff from the grain.

A broad thresher combines the peg-drum thresher and the winnower into a single machine. All three sometimes pop up at farm dispersal sales.