So thats blair gone then

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Liking or not liking a politician is nowt to do with it.
Brown has proved his competence in the job and being an archietct of New Labour, is the obvious choice to follow Blair.
Less spin I would have thought, and being the purseholder for so long, he is bound to know the sleaze operators.

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think Boris Johnson is a better columnist and entertainer than politician. It was a good article but real question will be how Mr Brown works out as PM - he will certainly have to work harder than just seeking a few easy laughs :bom:

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

Archie wrote:Blair (and Brown) turned around British politics well and truly.
Overcome the hard left, took on the conservatives clothes, kept some of Maggies "help your selves" philosophy and the economy is in better shape for it.
Pity all the savings are being hemorrhaged on the NHS and workshy.
Great summary ... couldn't have said it better myself :wink:

Millie
Living the good life
Living the good life

chadspad wrote:I am having a hard time understanding how it is allowed that not only does another man not voted for step in instead but that he then wants to use his ways to lead! I thought the idea was that, us the people, voted for the person we liked and the (I cant think of the right word - my minds gone blank! :oops: ) things that particualr person has put forward to rule the country with - or am I wrong?
Nope, vote for party, not politician. The party get to choose who will be leader. When I read that GB wanted an election 3 years early I asked DH if GB just didnt want the job.

Im gonna miss Tony *ducks*

The Chili Monster

Agree with Archie.
I love Boris
Think not. Dunno how "Call me Dave" & his Etonian mates think they have to offer a comprehensive-educated, schools -dinner recipient and council-estate- reared like bod me.

I grew up in Conservative '80s - the Blair years have taught me not to be so naive (spelt wrong, sorry) but thanks to Maggie I despise the "I'm All Right Jack Pull up The Ladder" politics that is just so Tory.

I don't know that Brown will make a better PM or no. Sureley the world would have always been a different place from that in 1997 irrespective of leader?

I agree with Muddy that I wouldn't be PM at any cost but, then again, thankfully, there's always an over-inflated-ego more than happy to adorn the dispatch box.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Millymollymandy

I find this all quite bizarre. This is the first forum where I've seen mention of anyone actually liking/respecting/supporting Tony Blair. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Brown's heavy style, (I'm honest, how about you) will show up spin as the substitute it is.
Cameron will run rings round him verbally but there is no one with a
better grasp of economics than the ex Chancellor.
What I would like to see is less support for the USA foreign policy, but then they own us so needs must.

Millie
Living the good life
Living the good life

The Chili Monster wrote:
I love Boris
Think not. Dunno how "Call me Dave" & his Etonian mates think they have to offer a comprehensive-educated, schools -dinner recipient and council-estate- reared like bod me.
Only cos he makes me laugh :mrgreen:

Martin

not often I agree with George Galloway, but I'd echo his thoughts on Blair - that he should leave number 10 in chains - on his way to trial for the Iraq invasion.
During his time in office, this manipulative cretin has produced a country in which ALL of our liberties have disappeared, and the sheep public have sat there intoning "it's all for our own good", and "of course ID cards are fine - if you're not doing anything wrong, why should we worry?" - all based on a largely over-hyped "terrorism". We now live in the most draconian police state the world has ever seen, and it's slowly getting worse............
The much vaunted "economic miracle" is nothing of the sort - it's mostly based on "non-jobs" created by the government, and funded by us! A tottering pile of cards, that'll take one card to be whipped out of the bottom for the whole lot to come crashing down :wink:
They've destroyed many people's lives by stealing their pensions, you can't easily see an NHS dentist, and they've flogged healthcare to "Big Pharma PLC" - homoeopathic treatment is now under threat on the NHS.
But most of all, this arrogant popinjay has fiddled while the earth burns - he's sold our future out to Atom Corp. Inc, and GMBiotech - he has done all he can to strangle any alternatives to these vile and dangerous technologies.......... :?
Overall, he's "Bush's Bitch", and has sold us out wholesale to US multi-nationals, whilst supporting their deeply amoral government, illegal invasions, Zionist and fundamentalist christian "end time" nutters and Guantanamo Bay........... I'd withdraw ALL support for the US, and cease all diplomatic relations until they've cleaned up their act! I despise Bush and his "master race" - arrogant, brainless fascists!
Respect for Blair? - none whatsoever - an arch manipulator who has done more to ruin our present and future lives than almost anyone in history!
:dave:
Last edited by Martin on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a canon of thought that says they type of person who wants to be elected is exactly the sort of person you don't want in power! :wink:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Martin

don't worry mate, it's the last job on earth I'd want! :wink:
-and whilst I'm in rant mode, I must take issue with the class snobbery displayed in this thread - I hold no brief for the Tories or "Dave", BUT to pillory him for his background (albeit privileged) is just as wrong as picking on someone because they're black or working class!
Need I remind people that we have no choice in the family into which we are born - many people get pigeonholed as "middle class", which seems to be the most reviled bunch of people going these days - it's discrimination of the very worst kind!:dave:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.

Millymollymandy

I'm middle class and proud of it!

4 Candles
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Gordon Brown seems to provoke antagonism in a lot of middle class English voters for the following reasons;

a. He's Scottish

b. He doesn't smile much or crack jokes

c. The Daily Express tells them that he has brought in countless 'stealth taxes' and that he will rob their graves when they die.

d. He's Scottish

a. & d. are racist.

b. is irrelevent and in my opinion a welcome change from the grinning puppet he replaced.

c. We still pay lower taxes than the rest of Europe, GB has managed the economy reasonably well, and why should the kids of people with big houses get tax-free windfalls when the rest of us get nowt as our parents' modest homes have gone to pay their nursing home fees.

I have a funny feeling that GB will go on to be one of the great PM's while TB will be seen as his stalking horse.

Martin

from someone pigeonholed as "middle class"
1 We didn't vote him in
2 His "economic miracle" is just a vast southsea bubble!
3 He's a "suit"
4 He's a miserable sod!
5 He'll be perched on Bush's lap instead of Tony
Got nowt against Scots personally, but I reserve the right to loathe some individuals (of whatever race, creed, religion or sex!)
- more bloody class (and race) warfare! - do I detect a touch of pots and kettles here?:wink:

The Chili Monster

Martin wrote:
Overall, he's "Bush's Bitch", and has sold us out wholesale to US multi-nationals, whilst supporting their deeply amoral government, illegal invasions, Zionist and fundamentalist christian "end time" nutters
Now, now, Martin, he's merely the last of a long-line of poodles that include:

John Major
Margaret Thatcher
Jim Callaghan
Harold Wilson
Ted Heath
Alec Douglas - Home
Harold Macmillan
Anthony Eden
Winston Churchill
Clement Attlee

-
and whilst I'm in rant mode, I must take issue with the class snobbery displayed in this thread - I hold no brief for the Tories or "Dave", BUT to pillory him for his background (albeit privileged) is just as wrong as picking on someone because they're black or working class!
Pillory? Little 'Ole Me? Perhaps I was being a little unkind homing in on "Call- Me- Dave" and his school colours but nothing changes my view on the Tories and their "I'm all right Jack" politics, and you don't have to be from a lower income bracket to agree with me (cue New Labour).
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"