Marrow Rum

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
chadspad
A selfsufficientish Regular

Marrow Rum

I have had a go at some marrow rum. All seems to be as it should be. However, I only have about 1/2 a demi-john full. Could I top it up with water, does anyone know please - otherwise what esle would it be? I cant believe its good to have such a huge gap of air before the top of the bottle.
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

A smaller container, Chad or top up up with something stronger.
Perhaps a film of scented oil, no not engine oil, to hold in the essence.
Your post reminds me of Yorkshire Rose who moved to France.
We corresponded for a year or more on bbc gardening board. It started with a post "I hear if you placed a marrow in womens tights, and poured in sugar you would get Marrow Rum, well I never !! "

chadspad

Thanks Archie, will find smaller container then I think. Must be cos us that move to France have nothing else to do with our time than make alcohol :wink: I used to live in Norfolk before moving here.
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I gave up on mine from last year (or was it the year before?). The brown sludge - about a pint of it - smelt alcoholic but was never something you'd want to drink.

I did think of trying it as a paint stripper, but I doubt it would have stopped at just the paint.

Tipped it away in the end.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

chadspad

Can fully understand that! This looks pretty revolting and stinks - always worth trying to turn something into alcohol tho lol :drunken:

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Norfolk you say, Chad, I live not far from Her Majesty.
She sends me a card every year........................................to pick apples. :mrgreen:
Mr. Chorelsterol caught with me, so orf the beer until.

chadspad

I lived in Thetford for about 15 years. Definitely glad we left :cheers:

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I remember Thetford........so picturesque with window boxes and hanging baskets....a pretty village green with a saxon mound.......and a bloody great punch up in the market square every saturday night :shock:

Jack

Gidday

Gee France must be a terrible place to live, doing nothing but making grog. Don't you ever get a chance to drink some of it?
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

chadspad

Youre not wrong about the punch-ups Flower, altho I seem to remember them slightly more frequently!!

Oh theres definitely plenty of time for drinking here in France Jack lol

Cheezy

Re: Marrow Rum

chadspad wrote:I have had a go at some marrow rum. All seems to be as it should be. However, I only have about 1/2 a demi-john full. Could I top it up with water, does anyone know please - otherwise what esle would it be? I cant believe its good to have such a huge gap of air before the top of the bottle.
Ahh now I've got m'Gran's book out and it has Marrow rum in it so I shall have to post (third wine posting tonite!) read this it sound terrible
Marrow Rum
1 large marrow
demerara sugar
raisins
1 oz. baker yeast

Cut the top off a well-scrubbed , straight marrow to expose the seeds. With a long handled spoon scoop these out together with the loose pith binding them together. Fill the cavity to the brim with demerara sugar, ( :shock: ), cream the yeast in a cup with a tablespoon of water, pour in the yeast cream and replace the top. Fix in position with cellulose tape( :shock: :shock: )Stand marrow inside a tall jug and cover with thick cloth. Leave in a warm room until gas bubbles are no longer formed. Strain liquid through muslin, measure and pour into a jar. add 1lb of chopped raisins for each gallon and continue as normal wine (i.e fermentate for 14 days, strain continue until gas stops.)
If a spiced wine is preferred , a thin slice of lemon peel or a saltspoonful of ginger powder may be added to the demerara sugar ( :lol: a right lot of difference that'll make)
This recipe is given because it is of considerable historical interest. However , readers are warned that a better product will be obtained by using the marrow Wine recipe (I'm bloody sure!)

I would definietly top up the gallon with water, though the recipe does tend to suggest that you'll get gallons of liquid. You are sure your using large marrows and not some Froggies over big courgette :lol:
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

chadspad

I used 3 over large courgettes, filled with sugar (twice) until there was nothing left but this saggy skin :shock: Then I added the yeast and left for 3 days before tranferring to emi-john. They were enormous courgettes, def marrow szie, but still only gave about 1/2 a demi-john of liquid. I did top up with water in the end. Its a revolting colour and stinks but its bubbling away nicely now. Something to do with overgrown courgettes lol

possum

I tried this, it went rotten, smelt of mould, so didn't even get as far as putting it in a demi john
Opinionated but harmless

chadspad

My marrow rum has fermented out now but the SG is 1060 :shock: Does anyone know if thats right seeing as its potentially as rum rather than just a wine? Have to say it tastes revolting - very sweet with a sour after-kick, no wonder its gotta sit for 2 years!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, commercial rum is really sweet! And it smells of mushrooms.

Maybe it needs the 2 years to mature and fully ferment into something vaguely drinkable?