eco menstrual stuff - boring for men

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
possum
A selfsufficientish Regular

Annpan wrote:
I don't mean anyone any offence but I do believe that there is a hell of alot of Christian Mythology that has been created mearly to suppress women. I believe that it was a backlash from the celebration of women in more ancient reigions (eg. pagan)
I agree. If you do a search on the net for "apocryphal gospels" you will find some writings, written at the same time as some of the books of the new testament. Initially they were included in the Bible, but several centuries after the death of Christ, the christian church had a big meeting to decide what they wanted to believe. The apocryphal gospels were chosen to be left out of the Bible. Why? one of the main reasons were because they placed a huge emphasis on the imortance of women, in particular there were many stories about Mary in the writings, which sounded too much like the old pagan goddess.
Opinionated but harmless

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

It goes back to the old testament too - basically the Adam and Eve story. Where Eve sins and leads Adam astray, encouraged by the 'serpent' (or as OH calls it 'Adam's trouser snake') The 'fruit' which is eaten is from the tree of knowledge.

I have interprated this as a direct attack on woman. The giver of life who is cursed by seeking knowledge and questioning God. So... don't question God, don't trust women's sexuality... hmmm, I wonder why people see the Catholic church as twisted.

My other biggest gripe is the 'Virgin Mary'... as I don't believe that creation of life (ie. sex) should not be seen as a sin, from which Mary is free, therfore the greatest female figure. I see this as a male issue with the miricle of pregnancy and creation that they are in awe of and so they demonise it.

I was brought up Catholic, I went to a very high achieving academic school. The main thing that I learned was that you have not to question the catholic church or its belief systems, when I pressed for an answer to my questions I was told not to test God.

I know I have come off topic a bit :oops: My point was about not feeling that as a woman you are cursed, it has been engraved in our culture to feel this way, it is a sad and sorry state...Oh and the mooncup sounds great, a bit pricey though.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ther's been a lot of abuse of power over the years an unfortunately according to human anture it will continue whoever is seen as the weaker side. Religion has caused so many problems it is hard to see it in a good light.

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Very off topic i know but i really love the stories of Adams first wife ,Lilith ,she certainly was the first femininist thats for sure!
A true friend tells you what you need to hear , not what you want to hear!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

magenta flame wrote:
Wombat wrote:Used to be 3 women in my household and me - solution? Me moves out to garage.......

Nev
It used to be four men and me, now it's three men and me, ........do you have a solution for me wombat?
In my experience, it really doesn't matter how many men there are MF, all wind up moving into the garage and leaving the woman/women to it. :wink:

Nev :mrgreen:
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

possum wrote:
Annpan wrote:
I don't mean anyone any offence but I do believe that there is a hell of alot of Christian Mythology that has been created mearly to suppress women. I believe that it was a backlash from the celebration of women in more ancient reigions (eg. pagan)
I'm a Christian and I celebrate women......

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

nessnco
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I'm a woman and a christian and have found the way churches interpret the bible is the problem not the bible (or God). In Proverbs 31 - there is a great example of what God believes a woman is capable of - she works (has a home based business) and looks after her family and servants etc. I find this inspiring.

P.S. I don't go to church just simply believe the bible as it is.
"Life is as good as your attitude"

http://guidingchildren.blogspot.com/

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

nessnco wrote:I'm a woman and a christian and have found the way churches interpret the bible is the problem not the bible (or God). In Proverbs 31 - there is a great example of what God believes a woman is capable of - she works (has a home based business) and looks after her family and servants etc. I find this inspiring.

P.S. I don't go to church just simply believe the bible as it is.
I believe you are quite right Nessnco, that has always been my veiw of all organised religions.
A true friend tells you what you need to hear , not what you want to hear!

QuakerBear

Hey, hey.

Bought a Mooncup yesterday and it's a strange looking beastie :shock:

But... it's working rather well. I'm glad I got it and I think I'm going to stick with it long term.

It certianly is a very different experiance to other products but somehow (excuse me being wishy washy) it feels more wholesome, natural and well just 'right'. I think we can say I'm a Mooncup convert. Maybe I should change my name to MooncupBear... :shock:

Thanks for introducing me to it guys :cheers:
QuakerBear

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a problem - there doesn't seem to be much widespread advertising of the mooncup (or the divacup/keeper depending on where you are). It seems to mainly be either word of mouth, or by having stalls at events (they were at BGG).

Its a shame really...

QuakerBear

I shall certianly be telling the world about my Mooncup, very loudly probably :mrgreen: .

Not sure if many people will be listening though.

Seriously I'd recomend everyone who reads this post to give it a go.
QuakerBear

QuakerBear

[quote="Jarmara"]Very off topic i know but i really love the stories of Adams first wife ,Lilith ,she certainly was the first femininist thats for sure![/quote]

Unfortunatly Lilith was also portrayed very badly. Elijah (crazy prophet from the Old Testament) meets her and she's on her way to eat a baby! Sooo... conform woman or be unspeakabley evil. Great message.

I'm glad I'm a Quaker and not anything else.
QuakerBear

red

QuakerBear wrote:I shall certianly be telling the world about my Mooncup, very loudly probably :mrgreen: .

Not sure if many people will be listening though.

Seriously I'd recomend everyone who reads this post to give it a go.
thats the thing.. the first time you try a mooncup you wonder why no one told you about it before.. so you feel you just have to tell everyone!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm rolling up to this rather late, but just wanted to add a couple of things (I'm staying off the whole anti-period conditioning thing!).

I bought my Mooncup online and there was a three month money-back promise if it didn't work for you, so although the initial outlay might be a little eyebrow-raising (although not set against the cost of buying disps every month), you can get it refunded if the thing really don't do it for you.

I use washable towels as well, as I like to keep track of the beginning and end of my period, and I've two miscarriages this year where I obviously wasn't going to use a mooncup (for reasons of discomfort and the risks of infection as my cervix was open for weeks and weeks with the second one, that was fun). Regardless of the impact on the environment (and it's not often you'll hear me say that), I prefer cloth sanpro (same with cloth nappies) for what they are. I can't stand the thought of all that nasty goo next to mine or my daughter's sensitive bits (though she's well out of nappies these days). I found disps made me itchy and hot and horrible. Cloth is so much nicer. Given the steps most of us must take, as Sish-ers, to reduce our impact on the environment I'm sure that even washing cloth sanpro and nappies we make a smaller impact on the environment (as of course we do make one) than a typical disp-user who doesn't pay the smallest heed to the environmental impact of their lifestyle.

Okay, I have got that off my chest :mrgreen:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I'm always amazed that Lilith is glossed over when children are taught about the creation story. also she is part of the more believeable old testament way of rationalising life, death, tradgedy etc. i.e., why bad things happen to good people. in new testament teachings it basically all boils down to God. "why do bad things happen?" "'cos god says so.". "he sends things to try us.". "why?" "because he does.". The old testament gives much more scope for God basically leaving us to get on with things. Also I kinda like judaic mythology, and the way of explaining certain things. the Eden serpent for example; in early jewish folklore the idea of a serpent baddie was actually borrowed from early egypt and taken with the jews when they left for the Exodus. the egyptian name for the serpent god was Set, or Set-Hen as a formal title.

most modern christians and jews don't seem to realise that their religions go into a depper, darker POLYTHEISTIC past... think about it, before the convenant, who did Abraham worship?!

anyway... I wont go on and on on here as I'll be here all night making myself look like a religious nut.

I may be into theology; and in most cases able to argue that black is white acording to the bible; but I'm in no way religious in a "conventional" way. I was brought up in a fervently atheistic, communist household where i wasnt even allowed to watch ITV because commerical channels were helping the rise of capitalism. no, seriously.
Anyway, I'm more spiritual. I'm not saying there is no god... there might be a few, one, or there might be none. I'm all for the live and let live, let others do as they please just as you do; so long as nobody's getting hurt in the process.

as for the mooncup, my views on the actual subject of this thread can be found in ecoparenting :mrgreen: :lol:
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!