blackberries

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Peggy Sue wrote:Loads of sloes about but can we pick them now?
They are best after the first frost. If you don't want to wait that long, I'd still wait until at least November, and then stick them in the freezer for a while.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Millymollymandy

Just as well I've still got bags and bags of 'em in the freezer! I suppose they will still be OK for crumble after a year or so?

Peggy Sue

ooo I freeze lots, but they never a whole year, just love um!!
Just Do It!

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

First brambling expedition of the year on Sun. whilst on a short walk. I provided tubs to my 2 companions & we all filled them within an hour. I had 1.1kg. Most have gone into the freezer & I'm going to swap some for plums from a friend's tree.

eva
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

<presses nose longingly against window>

I so envy all of you . . . we had a late frost this spring followed by a horrible summer drought, so our blackberry fields were almost totally fruitless this year (we usually pick six or seven gallons or so.) I'd had big dreams of blackberry wine, cobblers and pies all winter . . . but no :(

Never bought a blackberry in my life!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

we've had the opposite weather in the uk this year. unfeasibly warm spring followed by an incredibly wet summer. HUUUUUGE blackies here!
I'm off tomorrow to see if i can nab us some. I've also realised that there's an apple tree on the green up the other end of the village (I've lived here 2.5 years and only noticed it this year :roll: ) so I'm going to attempt to make jam. my first attempt in 2005 didn't go well. I burnt it.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Mare Owner
Tom Good
Tom Good

eva wrote:<presses nose longingly against window>

I so envy all of you . . . we had a late frost this spring followed by a horrible summer drought, so our blackberry fields were almost totally fruitless this year (we usually pick six or seven gallons or so.) I'd had big dreams of blackberry wine, cobblers and pies all winter . . . but no :(
Same for us too, drought all summer and not a single blackberry. sigh.