Has anyone any experience of Bereco windows?

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
mew
Living the good life
Living the good life

Has anyone any experience of Bereco windows?

If anyone has any experience of Bereco windows I'd like to hear from them. They seem to be pretty good, but they don't install their windows and so I'm a little concerned about finding someone to fit them who has experience fitting wooden windows and doing a good job!

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

No experience of them specifically, but the range and specifications seem as good as any that I've seen. Don't know about prices, though.

The issue with installing windows these days is that the work has to comply with Part L of the building regulations, which covers energy efficiency. All new windows have to meet or exceed this standard, which means any new double glazing unit will almost certainly have to be made with coated low emissivity glass (eg, K-glass, as made by Pilkington). Filling the gap between the glass with argon is also meant to improve their insulation value, and is not unusual.

The regulations cover installation as well as manufacture, and to comply with this, either an installer has to be registered with the FENSA self-certification scheme (and is thus permitted to self-certify his work), or you will need to consult with your council's building regulations department (you'll pay a fee, they will inspect the work).

Other than that, installing windows is no more difficult than it ever was (it's not difficult), and some people take the view that if they are confident of the workmanship, then the bureaucracy can go hang (for now, at least). But be aware that this may have implications when you sell the house - the buyer's solicitor will ask about things like new windows, and appropriate certification.

I suppose word-of-mouth will be the best way to find a builder or installer you can trust.

If you are looking for other makers of window frames to compare with, the market leader in joinery is probably Jeld-Wen, which is a merger of several fairly well respected joinery firms - John Carr, Rugby Joinery, Boulton & Paul (and for all I know several others as well). This is what many builder's merchants will supply.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Eric
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Bereco Windows

We intend using them for our house extension early next year. Prices are very good (& their specs are hard to beat) and my contact with them has been very positive & friendly. The only thing to bear in mind that as they are made to order in Poland the lead time is quite long (currently 7-8 weeks but can be 10 weeks in busy periods) but then again even our local firm (Sashless of Northallerton) quoted 6-7 weeks.

As we haven't ordered yet, I too would be interested to hear of anyone else's experience with them.

Cheers
Eric

mew
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Eric

Have you had your Bereco windows fitted yet? if so how are things and who fitted them, because thats what Im most concerned about really. They are good windows but I have not come across many people who have experience of fitting wooden frames, so any help in this area would be greatfully received

finnbaar
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Has anyone any experience of Bereco windows?

Hi there, we opted for Bereco in our Lincolnshire barn conversion. We thought that the extra cost would be countered by the high standard workamanship and warranty. However, a year later we've been left with seeping sap, peeling paint and horrendous after sales service. Once they've got the money, they seem disinterested in anything else, and so are currently acting under the advice of consumer direct in order to try and find resolution :(

harrisonn
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi All

I am the sales office aftersales manager at Bereco.

I have deleted the rest of the message, as it contained advertising and personal information not permitted by out rules. Please contact Admin directly if you have any comments about my actions.
Annpan

Simon Mann
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We were looking at Bereco but their lead times were about 3 months. We went with Carey and Fox in the end - lead times were quite similar but the quality of finish was much better...Simon