My bargain of the week.

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
fenwoman

My bargain of the week.

My scullery is a work in progress and has been for 10 years. I never get anything done to it as I cannot make up my mind what I want to do with it. What I do know is that I don't want anything resembling a fitted kitchen. I had 2 old kitchen base units in it minus the doors and there never seemed to be enough room in them for my food. I was at an auction on Tuesday and while I was there I bid £2 for an old dresser and got it. Underneath is a label stating that it was made in 1963. Anyway, I got it home and installed in the place where one of the base untils was and somehow have actually managed to store more stuff in and under it than the bigger base unit. Plus all my jars of pulses, dried goods, jam, marmalade, chutneys etc look really nice on it. I was busy baking and marmalading when I took the picture. Another 13 jars of 3 fruit marmalade done.

While I had my baking tins out (made 2 xmas cakes and a batch of chocolate coated almond biscuits) I found this great idea for ginger cake. ( my scullery/kitchen is bloody unhygeinic I know but I have never poisoned anyone yet. I did remember to wash it after they had finished sleeping in it :lol:

And all the proceedings were carefully watched by the 'guardian of the fridge' who likes to be on hand in case cheese comes out or a drop of milk.

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

That´s fab and only 2 quid - you´re making me quite jealous - Spain is awful for secondhand stuff, it´s either gaudy or turning to dust and whichever is the case it´ll be overpriced to the power of 10.

Sweet cats :cat: :cat: :cat: , I think we are in competition for who might have most pets!!
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

fenwoman

Gaudy is ok. You can always paint it. I got given last year a large pine welsh dresser. I have never liked pine, not even when it was fashionable n the 1980's and especially not 'honey' or 'antique' pine which to me looks orange and totally horrible. Anyway, I bought some apple white satin finish oil based paint and painted it. Then I painted the old walnut veneer 1940's television cabinet I have my telly in and also the mahogany standard lamp base. So everything matches in colour if not style. I love 'different' stuff and was dead pleased at my 1963 dresser. I was amazed nobody else saw how beautiful it was but I suppose in 20 years time it will be highly collectable. I buy loads of stuff from auction. Also on Tuesday I bought an Edwardian mahogany carved art nouveau mirror, for a quid. It was originally on a dressing table. I have an oak Edwardian ex dressing table mirror hanging on my sitting room wall and it looks lovely.
Look, a quid for this. And it is flipping heavy too with perfect bevelled edge mirror in it.
As for animals, I do have rather a lot. 9 cats in total plus 15 dogs aswell as the rest of the menagerie.

womble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

wow what a lovely dresser and so many yummy jars of food on it too :cat: your cats are so cute and there's nothing wrong with a little untidyness as i'm very untidy in my kitchen and like you i haven't poisoned anyone yet lol

that mirror is gorgous, two brilliant bargains, well done you, wish i could get bargains like that

xx

Millymollymandy

Amazing bargains! You'd be paying hundreds of euros for them in France in a 2nd hand shop. :cry:

Love the kitties. :mrgreen:

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Good for you, Fen....I have a kitchen setup if you want...mahogany wall units with glass doors...got them off Freecycle, used what I wanted these surplus to requirements. Can't deliver no car no more. PM if you want 'em.
Leave only footprints..take only photographs and wabbits.

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Love your bargains (& I admire your skill, bargain hunting is a skill) & your cats.
My mad cat also insists on wandering around the worktops & other available surfaces in the kitchen. I've given up trying to stop her & just wash everything down before preparing food on it. Of course, any kind of box or other receptacle attracts her like a magnet.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Brilliant bargains. I love the dresser and the mirror. Well done.

The cats are so cute. I'm dead lucky as neither of my cats jumps up on the work surface (one is too old, the other too lazy). The kittens look just like my Jade when she was younger. Gorgeous.

Zoe

red

lovely bargains!

and the ginger cake looks fab too!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

love the bargains, and your cats are so sweet!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

circlecross

[quote="Clara"]That´s fab and only 2 quid - you´re making me quite jealous - Spain is awful for secondhand stuff, it´s either gaudy or turning to dust and whichever is the case it´ll be overpriced to the power of 10.
quote]

Gaudi, for two quid? Oh sorry...

(I'm soooooo funny :wink: )
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73