Coal House

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

Coal House

Anyone see this, I think 4 or 5 families "traveled" back to 1927 in a Welsh mining community, I've only seen the last 2 episodes but thought of all you ishers who'd probably survive quite well!!

discuss!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Silver Ether
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have seen most of them and on several times I got ratty with them. The one woman moaning because she hadn't washed her feet since the prog had started because of the lack of hot water for a bath ...grrrrrrrr whats wrong with a soapy rag? that doesnt take a lot of water and the kettle was permantly of the range then and in wales theres no shortage of water.

I am happy enough to resort to a sink of water with a flannal it quicker and uses less water than baths or showers.

I was also confused about the amount of bread that they bought? again I felt that was something a lot of the woman would have made ...
themselves....AND Fancy killing the best laying chucks for meat :shock:

AND as for the dirty homes ... they deserved the rent increase the mucky buggers. Keeping home was their job after all..

ok I'll get my coat ...

I think ishers would cope with bells on ...and a few bows :flower:

ina

I didn't see that programme - no TV in my house - but honestly, it sounds like they had a better house than the one I grew up in, and that's not that long ago: 5 people in two bedrooms, no bathroom. a tiny kitchen - no range with the kettle on all the time, so basically never hot water! How did I survive the first 4 years of my life? :shock:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds better than the house I have now :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have a TV either, and I am sure I would just get wound up by watching the programme, though it does sound interesting.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Thurston Garden

Another TV free house :lol: but these are the kind of programmes I kind of miss.
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

ina

Thurston Garden wrote:Another TV free house :lol: but these are the kind of programmes I kind of miss.
We didn't have a telly when I grew up, so I never really got into the (bad?) habit...
Ina

Shirley

Didn't see it - we do have a telly but I rarely watch it because, quite honestly, I get bored with it.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

ina

Shirlz wrote:Didn't see it - we do have a telly but I rarely watch it because, quite honestly, I get bored with it.
And anyway, somebody is usually watching rugby on it... :roll:
Ina

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I haven't seen the show (no telly) but it does seem to me that when they do this kind of thing they pick people who don't have a clue to make it more "entertaining" rather than informative.

My Dad is part of a historical society and a woman was doing research for something and asking the older members (dad is 75) about Christmas before the war. She was shocked to discover they used real candles and not fairy lights - Dad had to gently explain that they didn't get electricty until the 1950s! This was in Birmingham, I know some rural areas didn't get it until the 70s and 80s. People forget how recently arrived a lot of things we take for granted are.

Wassail

Karen

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

My husband applied to go on it, we had an interview, but when we explained how we live our lives, allotment, trying more traditional ways of doing things wanting to move to a small holding, wood burning stove making clothes for my daughter etc we didn't get any further.

After watching the series I am glad we didn't get on as they just wanted people to squeak and whine but it was still interesting :lol:

ina

Karen_D wrote:She was shocked to discover they used real candles and not fairy lights
We always used real candles on the tree, despite having electricity - and for all I know, my family still do! I hate electric lights on trees; it's just not the same. But then, that was (and is) Germany, and they are not quite so paranoid about H&S... :roll:
Ina

Amaranth
Tom Good
Tom Good

Welsh Girls Allotment or any other ishers, I started a new topic about a sort of dream programme made up of isher sorts in the Swiss Family Robinson Village topic. I'd be interested in hearing what people would like to see.

I didn't get to see the coal one. And I missed the 1940s one too though I was able to read several articles about it.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I wish I'd seen this. i only saw the victorain house one and the one where they sent an american family to live as a frontier family. that one sucked 'cos all the people in it were just too "precious".
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

It's so refreshing to see so many of you without a TV, I hate the friggin thing, AND would quite happily throw ours in the sea but there would be a riot. Mrs C has just gone for a bath and told me not to switch it off, the dude's in bed she's in another room and Jamie Oliver is talking to no one :roll: I'm not worried about the co2 cos we're wind powered and it's blowing a gale but I just hate it being on when nobody is watching it :( so many households just leave it on all day, I know one couple that leave it on for the cat and my sis in law leaves it on even when she goes out, and it's nowt to do with burglars cos nobody even locks their doors here :shock:

Cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

camillitech wrote:It's so refreshing to see so many of you without a TV, I hate the friggin thing, AND would quite happily throw ours in the sea but there would be a riot. Mrs C has just gone for a bath and told me not to switch it off, the dude's in bed she's in another room and Jamie Oliver is talking to no one :roll: I'm not worried about the co2 cos we're wind powered and it's blowing a gale but I just hate it being on when nobody is watching it :( so many households just leave it on all day, I know one couple that leave it on for the cat and my sis in law leaves it on even when she goes out, and it's nowt to do with burglars cos nobody even locks their doors here :shock:

Cheers, Paul
Sorry you have to be subjected to it

I am so glad we don't have a TV... and we won't be getting one again (our plan is to eventually get a projector - we are film buffs :oops: ) there is a song, I'll need to find out who it is, the lyrics say

Television,
The drug of the nation,
Breeding Ignorance,
Across the nation.

... wise words.

One swift removal of the fuse, or un-wiring of the plug could solve your problems :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay