How do I hook up this solar kit?

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

How do I hook up this solar kit?

I've acquired a solar kit reciently that contains a 40W solar panel, 110 A battery, 400W inverter and a solar controller.

I know very little about electric anything and I'm scratching my head over how to get the power into the battery. I realise the solar panel should hook directly into the solar controller then the solar controller into the battery but, the solar controller has tiny leads with just bare wires. Will I need to connect a one ended jump/crocodile lead thingie to the solar controller in order to hook it to the battery?

Thanks for any input you might have!

Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

The controller should come with a simple circuit diagram that shows you what goes where - do you have one, or do you know it's make and model?
Crocodile clips are rather frowned on (they can fall off) - you'd be far better off with the same sort of terminal used in a car :wink:
As for inverters.............. :roll:
I've posted on the subject before - salesmen oversell the blessed things massively - if you were to be drawing all of the advertised 400 watts, that's
around 35 amps - the battery would be flat in 2 hours, stone dead in 3! - Be careful, it's a BIG inverter (you should have a battery bank around 3-4 times as big to run it satisfactorily!) :?
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for your reply Martin. Do you have a photo or example of what I should buy to hook to the solar controller wires? The solar controller does have a diagram as far as your neg and pos terminals.

As far as the inverter, I don't even think I have 400 watts to hook into the inverter. The only things I have to power are a laptop which is 1.5 amps I believe and my mobile phone which is my modem and sometimes I top up my solar lantern which has its own array but, on some days is not quite powerful enough to charge it all the way. I have a printer but, it's only used for about 10 minutes a month at most.

I've got a 3.3 diesel generator that runs our water pump and I currently charge this battery off that and a full charge in the battery tends to run my current set up for a week. Expensive way to charge it tho so, would be good to get the solar panel topping up the battery.

floydster
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Should be a piece of cake.

You'll probably only need to connect four wires like below (click for a bigger picture)

The black and yellow on the left are the +ve and -ve from the solar panel. The red and black coming out the right of the controller go to the battery. That's it. Just connect your inverter to the battery.

I bought a couple of battery terminal connectors from my local car spares shop for all the connections to the battery.

Here's the full album

I recently bought some very good 12V lighting from this eBay shop

Hope this helps,

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

floydster
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Remembered I had put some clearer pictures here

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

cheers for the response floyd. Looks like you've got a good little system hooked up there. The picture is small and I can't quite make out what the connectors to the battery look like. Do they have a name and is it something I can buy easily off ebay or something?

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

nevermind.................... I see these things that go over the battery terminal posts however, if I connect the solar charger to the battery using these am I still able to connect my inverter at the same time? The inverter came with jump/croc leads.

Martin

yes you can! :wink:
The other thing to bear in mind is battery life - even with the best gel batteries, the deeper you discharge them before recharging the faster they clap out!
Figures that spring to mind are "300 cycles to 70% DOD"....a good gel battery should provide that - take 70% out each time, it'll do it 300 times before failure
(do that once a day, it's knackered in a year!) - BUT it's ~"pro rata" - using that same battery, if you only took 10% before recharge, it would last 7x300 = 2,100 cycles! - Hence you would be very wise not to take too much out of the battery before recharging each time~!
(an ordinary "leisure" battery will only do 100 cycles to 50%........ :wink: )
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the info about the batteries. I'm afraid you'll have to spell out how I go about hooking both the inverter and the solar controller with the terminal post hingies on at the same time. :lol: