The difficult second book....

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I suppose 'The Self Sufficientish Bible - New Testament' would be too obvious?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

red

cult ! ha!

I agree 101 is done

i like the peoples stories ideas...
and the seasonal to do thing - you could break it down to 8 sections - early spring.. later spring and so on
and perhaps do some sections on celebrations.. you know.. how to party without costing the earth... keeping the art of giving gifts without being commericial, preparing a feast you grew yourself etc,
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

IF you're up for some research and thinking you could do "The self-sufficientish community" that way you can do bits on people, the seasons AND emphasise the importance of not trying to live it alone in the backwoods somewhere. explain the processes of community building and networking that strengthens a community maybe?

would enhance the cult status too :wink: go the hippy commune, oh wait, that should be "intentional community" lol
:dave: :flower: :cheers:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

QuakerBear

Wow, well done chaps, you're becoming high flying authors :lol:

I like the idea of the upside down book it sounds funky, but are your publishers going sell the book in both hemisphers? Even if they are they might not like the idea becuase wherever you are half of the book is going to be redundant.

The case studies idea sounds great, it adds touch of reality and will allow people to empathise with an 'ish way of life. It will also give you the opportunity to explore a range of approachs from hard to soft core and different motivations. If you are interested in case studies I'd highly recomend you read 'New Habbits' by Isabella Losada. I know it's about nuns (the main premise of the book is why the hell would a young woman want to become a nun?) but it's a great example of how you can look at different lifestyles, compare them to bring out the salient features and interview people with sensitivity and a sense of humour. It's also very eloquently writen. You'll be able to get through it in one sesion as well.

Well done again chaps.
QuakerBear

ina

Muddypause wrote:I suppose 'The Self Sufficientish Bible - New Testament' would be too obvious?
I seem to remember that involved a serious sacrifice...

I just thought of a snappy title:

"The Hamilton disciples at home!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

wulf

If the book included crib notes to translate southern seasons into northern ones and vice versa, a lot of the tips would work anywhere. Also, even if it only sold in the UK it adds extra flavour to remember that people are pursuing a similar passion around the world.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Missed this so far! ah well my two bob's worth -

- Take a number of the topics that you guys are really interested, that may have been in the original book and do them in detail.
- Live self sufficientish (like you do now) for a year, 6 months etc. and then write it up - how did it feel, what did you do, etc. make diary sort of thing about it.
- I do like the people one too,
- Travel around "self sufficientish style" then write it up.
- Do the self sufficentish cookbook!
- Pick a scenario - like the world after global warming - and do a novel, build in self sufficientich hints.
- Look at some of the ethnic minorities in britain and do a bit or research on how they have brought self sufficientish skills with them, and how they practice them.
- Do a "how we got though the war by being self sufficentish" history peice researched by talking to the older generation - before they all cark it.
- Develop a theoretical basis to ssish and write about it - "The 10-fold path to being self sufficientish"
- A self sufficientish Christmas? :mrgreen:

Well that's all I've got at the moment. Good luck with the second book guys! :cheers:

(Wow! I'm a member of a cult!, what will the minister say? :mrgreen: )

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

red

how about a project books... erm.. something like 20 self sufficientish projects you can do in a weekend. as it is aimed at the urban issher.. who probably has a job etc
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I once thought of an idea for a soap opera. Sort of a mix between Eastenders and Changing Rooms. A fictional series with a plot (OK so maybe not a a soap opera then) but with the characters showing the viewers how to do things. For instance, the kids having a discussion on how to study; the pub landlord explaining to the new barmaid about tax and national insurance that will be deducted from her salary; The pub chef sharing his recipes; the two old guys sharing tips about their allotments.

Maybe you could do a book along those lines with a fictional novel but with the characters sharing tips and hints along the way.

Zoe

QuakerBear

Oo, oo, ooo. Like your ideas Nev.
QuakerBear

ina

Thomzo wrote:I once thought of an idea for a soap opera. Sort of a mix between Eastenders and Changing Rooms. A fictional series with a plot (OK so maybe not a a soap opera then) but with the characters showing the viewers how to do things. For instance, the kids having a discussion on how to study; the pub landlord explaining to the new barmaid about tax and national insurance that will be deducted from her salary; The pub chef sharing his recipes; the two old guys sharing tips about their allotments.
Do you know that that was the idea behind the Archers? It started off as a series which gave advice to farming folk in an easy to digest way...
Ina

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi Ina
No, I didn't know that. But then I don't listen to the Archers.

So we'd be the Ishers instead of the Archers. :lol: :lol:

Zoe

ina

Thomzo wrote: So we'd be the Ishers instead of the Archers. :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Might catch on! But goodness me - hopefully not running for 50-odd years, and getting soapier by the minute...
Ina

red

a new twist on making your own soap...... :mrgreen:
Red

etsy shop

blog

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

I listen to the Archers but missed it tonight.

Reading to my son, the Cows in Action series - cows of the breed, Emmsy Squares - very intelligent! There baddies are the FBI (fed-up bull institute).

Anyway what was I going to say?