In Praise of Slow

By popular demand - The book review section.
Chickenlady
A selfsufficientish Regular

In Praise of Slow

I thought I had already posted a review of this book, but I can't find it. It is by Carl Honore.

I was reminded of it by Stoney's recent incapacity and by realising the huge amount he and his partner do in the course of a day. Too much!! Anyway, I bought this a few years ago for my stressed out DH but he never found the time to read it!!! I did, and think it is brilliant.

This is the synopsis:
Almost everyone complains about the hectic pace of their lives. These days, our culture teaches that faster is better. But in the race to keep up, everything suffers - our work, diet and health, our relationships and sex lives. Carl Honore uncovers a movement that challenges the cult of speed. In this entertaining and hands-on investigation, he takes us on a tour of the emerging Slow movement: from a Tantric sex workshop in London to a meditation room for Tokyo executives, from a SuperSlow exercise studio in New York, to Italy, home of the Slow Food, Slow Cities and Slow Sex movements.

It is a really entertaining and persuasive read. If the world stopped chasing £££ and wanting stuff, it might even work.

I was going to suggest Stonehead read it whilst recuperating, but he appears to be doing the same work just with one arm, thus taking twice as long!
Haste makes waste

Helsbells

Hi,
I have that book, and personaly found quite a lot of it a bit pretentious. personally I just want to get stuff done, and nothing to do with wanting money or stuff, I just feel like I have achieved more if I have done more things!! And with the amoutn of time spent working, I want to get as much good stuff into the time I am nto working as I can.
However I did find the section on education really interesting (as a trainee teacher) Just the way it was written really, bit pretentious.