these plastic 'bag for life' things

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

these plastic 'bag for life' things

I've been thinking - the supermarkets ar now pushing their bag for lifes - which..as far as I can tell - are made out of plastic too. when they wear out.. they will replace them with another...

so - how much longer will one last that ordinary plastic bag? and how much more plastic does it take to make one? I'm just wondering if - plastic for plastic, if you see what I mean, they are actually better?

doesn't seem like it to me

at the mo we are using up our plastic bag mountain from when we were bad people :oops: - and when they are all worn out... i shall make something from cloth.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Clara

The bag for life thing is a sham from what I can see. Whilst wanting to maintain some green cred, supermarkets are scared of losing the cheap advertising of having branded plastic bags.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

hamster

Clara wrote:The bag for life thing is a sham from what I can see. Whilst wanting to maintain some green cred, supermarkets are scared of losing the cheap advertising of having branded plastic bags.
Which is really weird, when you think about it, because supermarkets have created a culture where most people go shopping in their cars, so you rarely see anyone else's shopping bags, cos they're always in the car boot.....

Cloth bags are soooo much better than plastic bags-for-life, and in M&S and Sainsbury's I've seen sturdier fabric-based bags for sale alongside the plastic ones. Don't know if it's going to encourage people to use them unless there's some kind of financial motivation though...
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Millymollymandy

My French bags are still going strong after nearly 3 years and absolutely no sign of wear or tear.

I don't know if they are anything like the British ones though!

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

hamster wrote: Which is really weird, when you think about it, because supermarkets have created a culture where most people go shopping in their cars, so you rarely see anyone else's shopping bags, cos they're always in the car boot.....
drives me potty when i see people pushing a trolley full of plastic bags up to the boot of their car. and at the till when people say yes to a bag for say, a pen, i feel to whip a used plastic bag out of my handbag for them. actually, maybe it might be a good idea to start carrying around a spare for ol' waste happy at the till!

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

AND my local sainsbury's has a huge 'bin' thing at the front of the shop to 'recycle' used plastic bags in. when the customer is gonna go straight in there andfget a new one. surely if youve gone so far as to remember to bring them with you when shopping you could just use them again?!?! WHhhhhat?!

Silver Ether

I have got 4 bags for life left ... I started to use them about 2 years ago and they are doing really well, I have to say ... but as they go I am not replaceing them as I made a lot of cavas/cotton ones and use those ...as I getting gooder and gooder :flower:

Shirley

Sounds like a load of old rubbish to me... it's still plastic... people still chuck them away.... and it uses a lot more plastic to make a 'bag for life' than it does to make the thin and flimsy ones.

Cloth bags would make sooooooooo much more sense. The Co-operative (as it is now known) will sell you a rather large and strong cloth bag made from fair trade cotton for £1 - it's useful for so many things, and yes, you can even use it in T***o if you so choose ;-)

I've got some clipper jute bags that are great too - we're 'selling' them for a donation of £2 each as a Neeps fundraiser.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

for stupid's sake - local sainsbury's is going to 'give away free bags for life' so dont give em a free one - give em a bag with more plastic in it damm stupid as a stupid thing ! grrrrrrrrr!!
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

ina

I had a bit of a puzzled moment when I heard that Gordon Brown now wants to get rid of "single use" plastic bags. What are they? No bags HAVE to be thrown out after single use - the few that I own have been used many, many times already, and I hope they'll still be going strong in a few years' time... And some of my cotton bags have been around for well over ten years, and have been washed again and again.

Even my bread bags (from the rare occasions when I buy bred - usually when it's half price!) get used many times. And other bags, veggie packaging etc...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

On a bit of tangent but still bag releated, my council want us to sort out our recycling and bag it up for collection, seems reasonable enough but as I am holier than thou I use cloth bags - I pointed out to the council - yes I am sad enough to ring them up to query these things :roll:

I said that I do not have plastic bags I use home made cloth bags when I shop - so how do you want me to sort my recycling - in plastic bags said lady on the phone - but I've just told you I don't have any - she said everybody has plastic bags ???

It obviously wasn't getting through to her that not everybody has bags so now I have to 'borrow' bags from my neighbours to sort out my recycling :shock:

Where is the sense - I asked for extra recycling bins to enable me to sort my rubbish but they 'are unable to arrange that at this time'

Sooner they offer alternatives to plastic bags the better - why can't we have sturdy paper bags - they appear to be a better alternative

ina

Only problem with paper bags - they disintegrate when wet.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Welsh Girls Allotment wrote:On a bit of tangent but still bag releated, my council want us to sort out our recycling and bag it up for collection, seems reasonable enough but as I am holier than thou I use cloth bags - I pointed out to the council - yes I am sad enough to ring them up to query these things :roll:

I said that I do not have plastic bags I use home made cloth bags when I shop - so how do you want me to sort my recycling - in plastic bags said lady on the phone - but I've just told you I don't have any - she said everybody has plastic bags ???
I asked our local council (Dudley) for an extra recycling bin and they were kind enough to let me have one, so one for cans and one for glass - they don't recycle plastics.

Anyway, I had cause to ring them up because we seemed to get everyone else's cardboard boxes (which they also don't recycle) dumped in our bins after a collection. I then had to speak to Mrs Snotty McKnickers-in-a-Twist who seemed outraged that we had been given an extra bin by one of her colleagues when it came out in the conversation. :? You'd think we'd stolen it at gunpoint!

Every fortnight they end up with thousands of plastic bags from the recycling collection which they then have to dispose of. :hmph:

Milims

I bought a shopping trolley recent'y and it's the best thing I've ever done! It's a big funky orange thing and it holds loads! I've had a few funny looks but quite frankly I don't give a damn - not only is it infinately re-usable but also I'm not the one struggling to carry lots of heavy shopping bags - and I can run over peoples toes!! :mrgreen:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Silver Ether

Karen_D wrote:
Welsh Girls Allotment wrote:On a bit of tangent but still bag releated, my council want us to sort out our recycling and bag it up for collection, seems reasonable enough but as I am holier than thou I use cloth bags - I pointed out to the council - yes I am sad enough to ring them up to query these things :roll:

I asked our local council (Dudley) for an extra recycling bin and they were kind enough to let me have one, so one for cans and one for glass - they don't recycle plastics.

Anyway, I had cause to ring them up because we seemed to get everyone else's cardboard boxes (which they also don't recycle) dumped in our bins after a collection. I then had to speak to Mrs Snotty McKnickers-in-a-Twist who seemed outraged that we had been given an extra bin by one of her colleagues when it came out in the conversation. :? You'd think we'd stolen it at gunpoint!

Every fortnight they end up with thousands of plastic bags from the recycling collection which they then have to dispose of. :hmph:
I live in Dudley area and they refused to give me a second one ... bloody snotty cow.... SE not as polite as karen.. :wink: so I make do with cans going in the black one and take other stuff to recycling or the co-op. Karen sending you a pm or I will be so off topic :shock: